Rear Light Bulb Problem

Can anyone help with this problem? I have an early 90 with replacement Wipac rear Side/Stop lights. The problem I'm having is that the plastic bulb holder is hopeless (or the spring is too good) and the bulb keeps popping out of it's socket and ends up lying helplessly in the red bowl cover. This isn't restricted to off-road use - it happens going over minor road bumps.

I've already replaced one side and it has exactly the same problem - do they not make these things with metal or ceramic inserts like the good ole days?

Many thanks for any help!

John

this happens to various pattern part lights, sometimes the pins on the bulb bases aren't long enough to properly engage with the slots in the light unit, the bulb should be pushed in the rotated slightly to engage the pins with the holding end section of the slots.

This is common, the plastic bulb holders are either worn or poorly made, and the bulb locating lugs may not be long enough as suggested by Ralph. Most of the bulbs on my 110 lamps are held in by a 'halo' of copper wire with three legs attaching the 'halo' to the three self tappers securing the lamp to the bodywork!

Regards,

Diff

This is common, the plastic bulb holders are either worn or poorly made, and the bulb locating lugs may not be long enough as suggested by Ralph. Most of the bulbs on my 110 lamps are held in by a 'halo' of copper wire with three legs attaching the 'halo' to the three self tappers securing the lamp to the bodywork!

Regards,

Diff

I like the 'halo' idea - I'll give that a go. I assume you are just using domestic electrical copper wire.

Many thanks for your help.

John

I had this very same problem with Wipac rear Side/Stop lights, supplied by Paddocks. I had two lots from them before giving up.

I then brought LEP from Bearmach and these are of a higher quality but more expensive.

Since fitting LEP ones, the bulbs have never popped out. :)

Also did you notice that the drain slot/hole on Wipac are at the 3/9 o'clock position! :huh:

Replaced all my front units a while back. The indicators are fine but that's because the lamps are not on consistently.. The sidelights had the popping bulbs.

When warm the fittings became very soft and the bulbs just popped out from the spring pressure.

Eventually I retrieved the old plastic backplates, cleaned up the connectors, inserted the old plastic into the new rubber (aligning the drain holes at the bottom - as mentioned above, they were not in correct position) and screwed the new lenses on !!!

Not failed since. Just carp quality plastic used ! Got the units from Scorpion.. Never again. Genuine parts only for me from now on...

I like the 'halo' idea - I'll give that a go. I assume you are just using domestic electrical copper wire.

Many thanks for your help.

John

Yes, just the earth wire from domestic twin and earth. I ought to get new lamps, but since everything works, I can't justify the effort at the mo.

Regards,

Diff

I had this very same problem with Wipac rear Side/Stop lights, supplied by Paddocks. I had two lots from them before giving up.

I then brought LEP from Bearmach and these are of a higher quality but more expensive.

Since fitting LEP ones, the bulbs have never popped out. :)

Also did you notice that the drain slot/hole on Wipac are at the 3/9 o'clock position! :huh:

Yes, drain hole is pointless in current position. I had no idea such a simple, low cost part could be messed up so much - I would have bought a better set if I'd realised. Oh well, you live and learn. Thanks for comments.