Rover V8 Megasquirt MS1 Bricked and Won't Connect to Tuner Studios Anymore after Easytherm Flash

Amir A

Hi all

Your help would be much appreciated,

Been running MS1 kit for my RR 3.9 , very well so far and loved it. Had an issue with IAT & CAT sensor readings after rebuilding the engine and so I tried the Easytherm to calibrate them.
I believe I made an error by flashing the Megasquirt with the Easytherm rather than placing the inc files in the TS project file (also with EDIS plugged in !!). The ECU is now corrupt and does not connect to the Tuner Studios. It even did start and ran the car as usual but could not load TS to load the tune no matter what. 

It's not a cable or COM port issue I am pretty certain but I could be wrong.

So trying the last resort, I tried to flash the ECU with boot loader pins connected and loaded MS1 Extra 029y4. The loader prompted download complete and seemed ok. But now I have two problems..,  it won't connect still, and worse, it won't prime the fuel pump when turning ignition key since it's a fresh new firmware. When I try creating a new project, it won't detect the new firmware.

I even tried Portcheck.exe and it does find the COM 3 I used to connect with, but "not connected" prompt is reported in the checker, of course.

Tried everything I know but I am stuck and fear it might be finished.

How do you usually flash the unit? Do I now go to the original Firmware and flash with 029y3?

Is there another way of resetting the ECU apart from reflashing? why the TS won't see the ECU?!! Cable is fine, was using it, and the drivers are fine. I even setup another laptop and still same issue. 

Amir

13 hours ago, Amir A said:

could not load TS to load the tune no matter what

Are you saying TunerStudio would not start up (which would just be a laptop / software problem) or that tunerStudio couldn't connect?

The battery voltage needs to be healthy to flash the firmware, the bootloader usually warns you about this though.

It's possible you've got an error in the flashed firmware, it happens on MS1 from time to time and usually a re-flash (so short the BOOT pins together, power cycle the unit, run the bootloader to upload firmware). Don't forget to remove the boot jumper afterwards although MS-Extra doesn't really care about it.

It's a long while since I did it but I believe Easytherm modifies the firmware (.s19) file you need to download as well as giving you matching .ini files to copy to Megatune / TunerStudio. I will dig out my firmware file later and upload it.

The port checker is doing 2 things; seeing it can open COM3 (does the port exist on the computer) and then seeing if it gets a response from an ECU on that port, which it won't if the ECU is

The good news it you haven't ruined your ECU, at worst you would just need to swap the CPU chip which is easy, I've got a few spares knocking around the place.

Thanks FridgeFreezer

Pretty positive that the laptop is fine since it was working and I even set up a new laptop, still the same issue.

My symptoms got worse as I tried to "resolve" the situation by further flashing the ECU with 29Y4 MS Extra. The first problem was the lack of connection to TS while the engine still ran. Then the flashing stopped it all working.

Used Bootloader pins, voltage ok, no prompt on Bootloader window either..

I'll try reflashing with 029Y3, though how should I use the text file to load the firmware?

I think the Chip may need replacing if all fail and would appreciate it! I'll message you direct

Thanks!

Amir

4 hours ago, Amir A said:

I'll try reflashing with 029Y3, though how should I use the text file to load the firmware?

If it's a text (.txt) file you shouldn't be flashing it to the ECU, it should end in .s19 - if you right-click the link I posted and "Save link as..." and save it to your laptop that should be a working S19 file.

What cable are you using to connect the laptop to the ECU? Plenty of dodgy ones of those out there.