2009 tdci defender runaway diesel

So here we go 

I experienced a runaway yesterday and really need some help with trying to move forward with it 

do I need to replace the engine or rebuild 

how do I know if the engine is knackered

if anybody else has had it happen 

I would really appreciate help 

thanks 

I haven’t had a proper look yet, things are pointing towards the turbo I did have a quick look in the air, inlet manifold and there was oil 

It went berserk for about 20 seconds, could not stop it and eventually it just died. There was no loud bangs or nothing.

I guess one question is how much oil remains in the sump? If a reasonable amount, maybe it just stopped, still with oil pressure, and assuming it was the turbo( how else?) maybe it just needs a new cassette.  Does the engine turn over smoothly by hand? Is the breather clear, if blocked that can pressurize the engine and force oil out of the turbo?

If there is oil in the sump and it turns over ok then trying a re-start with the inlet disconnected from the turbo to isolate the turbo oil leak (and boost) if it has failed should give a decent indication of the rest of the engine state. 

Was the ignition already off when it stopped "on it's own"? If so that is positive suggesting only a small amount of oil to self fuel , bloody scary when it does happen speaking from experience...

Steve

We are just assuming it is the turbo here. Was it very smoky when it ran away? It must have been sucking oil from the intercooler if so, maybe it just burned what it had. Was the engine smoky before this happened? There may be another cause (I can't think what) so be careful if you decide to try a start.

15 minutes ago, fmmv said:

We are just assuming it is the turbo here. Was it very smoky when it ran away? It must have been sucking oil from the intercooler if so, maybe it just burned what it had. Was the engine smoky before this happened? There may be another cause (I can't think what) so be careful if you decide to try a start.

that's why I said disconnect the turbo to inlet hence removing either excessive breather delivered oil or failed turbo seals, there's not much else to provide engine oil into the inlet, you may be right that it just picked up resting oil from the intercooler built up over time but that too will be isolated. 

I always have something solid to block the inlet manifold should it take off when doing this test , just in case.....

Steve

1 minute ago, steve b said:

always have something solid to block the inlet manifold should it take off when doing this test , just in case.....

....and a fire extinguisher.

3 minutes ago, steve b said:

that's why I said disconnect the turbo to inlet ............I always have something solid to block the inlet manifold should it take off when doing this test , just in case.....

That is very good advice