Injection pump timing 2.25 diesel

muzaz

A friend of mine needs some help setting the injection timing for a 2.25 series 3. The engine is a 5 main bearing, with 13° and 14° timing marks on the flywheel. He took the skew gear off and replaced the bearing and reinstalled it at 20 ish degrees as per Hanes manual instructions. He set the timing at 13° and installed the injection pump. The injection pump has internal marks which are lining up ( "A" mark to circlip) however its not running right. Low on power, smokes and difficult to start even when warm.

Any idea of how it should be set? 

I would say it's retarded by the sound of the running description ?

Is the pump body central on the slots?

One other thing to check is the engine stop lever, with no cable and/or return spring it can be partially shut off if not back against the stop.

There is a plate on the side of the pump body (2 hex 5/16" head ) that has a pointer and a timing mark on the rotor too but my WSM does not show it

Steve

Advanced gives black smoke and is harder to start.  Retarded gives bluish-white smoke and is easy to start.  Both will decrease power and efficiency.  Retarded will harsh, but advanced will seem a little quieter and smoother.

I think the issue has to do with the injection pump, apparently there are different pumps which are set at different crank angles. We were setting timing at 13° as marked on the flywheel, however the pump may be an older type which should be at 16°.

We set it at 16 and it's running much smoother now, no smoke at idle and responds well to throttle  input.

• Like 1