Automatic transmission

I’ve had a few automatic range rovers in my time and serviced the ZF gearbox’s,

Are they the same box on the disco 2?

easy serviced? Filter and oil.
no dip stick required.😂

1999 v reg 

Edited by Green200tdi

Yes, the basic box is the same, so the same procedure and parts for a service.

The internals are sightly different but not enough to matter. The electronic control is what really sets it apart from earlier boxes that had purely hydraulic control.

Normal refill is 5-6 liter. But if you let it drain overnight, you'll get most of the oil out of the torque converter and cooler as well and can get closer to the total capacity of 10 liter. I always use Dexron 3 for the ZFs.

Make sure you have the engine running when checking the level. Easiest is to fill 'till overflowing, put the plug back, start the engine, go through the gears and top up with the engine still running. 

2 hours ago, Escape said:

Normal refill is 5-6 liter. But if you let it drain overnight, you'll get most of the oil out of the torque converter and cooler as well and can get closer to the total capacity of 10 liter. I always use Dexron 3 for the ZFs.

Make sure you have the engine running when checking the level. Easiest is to fill 'till overflowing, put the plug back, start the engine, go through the gears and top up with the engine still running. 

Would be so much easier with a dip stick 🦯 😊

ok thanks I’ll let him know.

On 5/1/2024 at 1:17 PM, Green200tdi said:

Would be so much easier with a dip stick 🦯 😊

ok thanks I’ll let him know.

They normally have a dipstick to the right of the bell housing, or was that only the earlier models?

A bit off topic, but one of the things that really annoys me is the accessibility of the air filter on later vehicles. The older ones have a lid with clips, even if not always that easy to open. But later ones use a bunch of screws, with torx heads! Probably just to reduce the chances of the owner having the correct tool to undo them. Surely being able to check the air filter in a vehicle that is supposedly designed to go off road is a good thing??

• Like 1