Series 2A Gearbox Change

blz6662

Hi All,

I currently have a Series 2A SWB with Suffix F Gearbox/Fairey Overdrive combo mated to a Steve Parker conversion Essex 3.0 V6 which is great. Now the gearbox is getting a bit tired and I have a good Series 3 Gearbox on the shelf (bottom shelf!) and I have read that it is possible to swap the Series 2A Bellhousing directly onto the Series 3 box without any issues. Can't find anyone with a good answer on any forums and I apologise if it's here somewhere.

Can anyone give me some true guidance on this please?

Kind regards

Baden

You may need to check the bearing part numbers for each box, but I believe they are the same.  The casings will certainly fit - it’s just whether the SIII innards will foul the SII bell housing rear face.  I think the lay shaft will be fine.  I’m not so sure about the primary pinion, which may differ for the clutch.  The SII pinion might mesh with the SIII lay shaft, but I’d expect it to howl unless you can for the SII lay shaft front gear to the SIII lay shaft.  I don’t know if they are dimensionally similar at their splines.