Starting problem in Defender 300Tdi

fenwad

Hi

A question from a relative novice on things mechanical. I went out to start my Defender 300 Tdi the other night, only to have the engine turn over a few times before a rapid clicking/clacking sound could be heard. I am not sure what this means - is it that a starter motor has gone dodgy? I hadn't used the vehicle for over a week so the battery was a little low anyway, just a few turns and it pretty much flattened the battery.

If Anybody has experienced this or anything similar and who could give some advice I would be very grateful.

Richard

This is what I thought as well...got a mate with some jump leads out yesterday...engine cranked and then the clickety sound again... But having read the two replies to my question...tried it again, this time leaving the jump leads connected for a little longer and it started. Thanks for all your help. Having just purchased this Defender..I'm sure I'll be on here quite a lot in future with questions. Great forum.

Clean up the battery terminals with a wire brush or sand paper and lightly coat them with vaseline.

Buy or borrow a decent multi meter - preferably one designed for use with cars.

Read the instructions and check the voltage across the battery terminals with the engine running, this should tell you if the alternator is on the blink or not. If the meter has a "battery condition" or "battery aging" setting give this a try as well once the battery has been on charge for at least 12 hours.

Don't worry about the clicking sound it is just a solenoid.

Do you know how old the battery is?

What car does your mate have?

Steve

• 3 years later...

revivied an old thread here.

My Defender 300tdi wouldn't start this morning... Thought it was the battery but the AA came and confirmed that, they were really good giving it a quick checl over while here.

Bit confused with battery, he said 072, but website I looked at said 069. Does it matter? What would people recomend?