Diesel for 101

markwindsurf

Am looking to replace a V8 in the 101 to create a more economical vehicle for an overland trip, does anyone have any recommendations as to what works well and can be mated to a transfer box? I have a borg/warner which would suit the transfer box quite nicely if I could mate a decent sized diesel and auto box infront of it. My theory was the bigger the better output power wise, although obviously there is a point where cost becomes inpractical, was wondering whether the 3.1 isuzu would suit.

Does anyone have any opinions / thoughts or a lovely big diesel engine looking for a home?

Am looking to replace a V8 in the 101 to create a more economical vehicle for an overland trip, does anyone have any recommendations as to what works well and can be mated to a transfer box? I have a borg/warner which would suit the transfer box quite nicely if I could mate a decent sized diesel and auto box infront of it. My theory was the bigger the better output power wise, although obviously there is a point where cost becomes inpractical, was wondering whether the 3.1 isuzu would suit.

Does anyone have any opinions / thoughts or a lovely big diesel engine looking for a home?

i had an isuzu 2.8 connected to a rangie 4spd auto box (via conversion plate), and a land rover (not the disco, higher ratio) lt230 transfer box in a 110CSW and that was a fantastic combination, i changed the transfer for the higher ratio one to get viscos 4x4 and it all went to pot, the gearing was all wrong for the power, and too high geared.

I dont know who did the conversion, but it was a very good conversion.

Hope this helps

Hate to suggest it really,but the 101 is an ideal case for a decent LPG conversion as the carbed V8 is very tolerant of poor fuelling and does not suffer the same head gasket/porus block issues as the 94mm block engines.There is plenty of room to accomodate large tanks without ground clearance issues.There is also plenty of room to site the underboonet kit,(vaporiser etc) without making things like plug changing a chore.

The V8 makes little noise too,compared to any diesel conversions which would need lots of soundproofing to get back to a basic V8 standard.Going deaf is not on my list of things to do !

Guys, have had a very interesting chat with a guy who drove an ambulance to OZ, with an admitedly heavy vehicle he was only achieving 16mpg on a 3.5 mazda, with such a small difference from the standard petrol I would have to question whether it was worth the swap and all the possible subsequent problems, wrong gearing, fitment issues re-wiring, etc etc. I think I will stick as standard for the time being, as I know of two pwople who are currently converting to 300 TDI, see how their vehicles turn out and then possibly look again later in the year.

Although being a long term dieselly, I have an unnatural fear of the petrol engine and how to fix those annoying little issues.