Discovery rear floor - repair or replace ?

Baloo

Hi All

I've attached a couple of pics of my 95 300 series (78k miles, pretty solid elsewhere) discovery rear floor.

Lots of small areas of corrosion, but only one hole, 2 inches by one inch where the offside of the floor panel joins the side panel.

I've treated the corroded areas with Hammerite KillRust after severely wire brushing them and will prime them tommorrow.

Whats your opinion here. Should I replace the floor panel, or get the holed area patched ?

Whats the cost of a full replacement inc labour etc likely to be.

Ta

Baloo

post-3050-1173380697_thumb.jpg

post-3050-1173381009_thumb.jpg

Hi All

I've attached a couple of pics of my 95 300 series (78k miles, pretty solid elsewhere) discovery rear floor.

Lots of small areas of corrosion, but only one hole, 2 inches by one inch where the offside of the floor panel joins the side panel.

I've treated the corroded areas with Hammerite KillRust after severely wire brushing them and will prime them tommorrow.

Whats your opinion here. Should I replace the floor panel, or get the holed area patched ?

Whats the cost of a full replacement inc labour etc likely to be.

Ta

Baloo

Hi Baloo

As it is only a small hole it might be better to repaire it. but im told that it is a common prob with disco's and that it indicates rust elsware.

have a good look and if the tin worm has a good hold then you might like to take the same action that i am doing (see here: http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopi...t&p=129432) B)

you could always get a replacement pannel

Lawrence (defcol)

:hysterical: wait till you see mine. I'm just trying to find somewhere where it is still attached.

More seriously though. Those many small rust patches are just the tip of the iceberg so to speak. These spots are where rust has formed in the gaps UNDER the floor in the gap between floor and cross bars and is now starting to come through. Treating the top of the 'iceberg' may not help much. You'll need to tackle it from underneath.

:hysterical: wait till you see mine. I'm just trying to find somewhere where it is still attached.

More seriously though. Those many small rust patches are just the tip of the iceberg so to speak. These spots are where rust has formed in the gaps UNDER the floor in the gap between floor and cross bars and is now starting to come through. Treating the top of the 'iceberg' may not help much. You'll need to tackle it from underneath.

Thats what I feared! :angry: I think I'll need to get some expert help with this. It's a solid old truck generally, so worth getting this sorted properly.

Thanks Guys

Baloo

IMHO of course...

I enclose a page from the Disco parts manual and a spreadsheet [had to save as picture as site would not let me laod XL sheet] that was used by me for the basis of costing how much the repair would cost etc.

Initial glances showed my Disco was similar to yours, but after some careful probing with a small hammer (as per the MoT tester) I discovered that there was corrosion in most of the main floor panel, and its seams with the smaller parts that go around the wheel arches. Also the rear body cross member was gone and even the repair mount kits would not coveer the rust.

I also decided to take the trim out from the rear sides, and the NS where the body and floor join up the wheel arch was also gone.

I got OE parts from local dealer who gave me trade prices (well have had lots of Rovers and currently have two).

BTW, front inner wings are also very holey, and the sills needed repairing.

Hope the enclosed helps, and also if you need a welder in the SE I know a good man in Kent (not me, he is a mobile mechanic)

post-1003-1173533843_thumb.jpg

post-1003-1173534195_thumb.jpg

IMHO of course...

I enclose a page from the Disco parts manual and a spreadsheet [had to save as picture as site would not let me laod XL sheet] that was used by me for the basis of costing how much the repair would cost etc.

Initial glances showed my Disco was similar to yours, but after some careful probing with a small hammer (as per the MoT tester) I discovered that their was corrosion in most of the main floor panel, and its seams with the smaller parts that go around the wheel arches. Also the rear body cross member was gone and even the repair mount kits would not coveer the rust.

I also decided to take the trim out from the rear sides, and the NS where the body and floor join up the wheel arch was also gone.

I got OE parts from local dealer who gave me trade prices (well have had lots of Rovers and currently have two).

BTW, front inner wings are also very holey, and the sills needed repairing.

Hope the enclosed helps, and also if you need a welder in the SE I know a good man in Kent (not me, he is a mobile mechanic)

Thanks Nic, a great help, been quoted£550 to replace the floor alone, needto have a good look around an establsh exect extent of corrosion............ :unsure:

Baloo