clutch time..

pigster

• 9 months later...

Well I thought I'd add to this sadly unanswered post because it seems my clutch / release bearing has died :( at least that's what I hope it is :unsure:

It did have the decency to wait until we got home from christmas shoppin' - started making a nasty rattling noise with the clutch down as I came off the motorway, then as I pulled up by my house it made a really bad clunk/bang noise and some foul smelling smoke came out :huh: I decided that was probably a good time to turn it off.

Mine is the 1800 petrol, 1998 vintage.

I've seen clutch kits for ~£80-100, paddocks seem to claim a genuine kit for £79 although after seeing stories on this site about some clutch manufacturers I think I'd want a Borg & Beck / AP one if one exists.

So - same question really: Is it a fairly easy job to do or what? If it's straightforward I might have a crack at it myself, if not it's going to the garage as I have dad's RR to try to scrape through an MOT before the 30th taking up my garden.

If it's a garage job, can anyone tell me a reasonable price (or number of hours) for getting it done?

They are not too hard a job but wthout a ramp there is a lot of groveling around on your back.

It should take you around about 4-5 hourss but outside on your back i'd allow for a weekend, the 1.8 is a bit easier than the 2.0 as there's a lot more space around everything in the petrol and the IRD comes out easier in the petrol.

Ps. john will need a grown up to give him a lift, :P

Cheers Dan,

I don't think I've got a whole weekend free at any point in the next 6 months :( so looks like it'll be off to the garage to let the grease monkeys do it. Rather just have it back & working than faff about.

Get them to reseal the endcasing on the IRD while it's out as it's more than likely leaking and is not a cheap job to have done at a later stage.

On the 1.8 you can get away with leaving the ird in and just unbolting the gearbox, can be a bit of a fiddle to get the box back on though, especially on your back! Easy 4hrs job with a ramp and air tools.

The ird end case needs sealant, stc50550 iirc, black flexible stuff as used for 300tdi sumps etc.

On the 1.8 you can get away with leaving the ird in and just unbolting the gearbox, can be a bit of a fiddle to get the box back on though, especially on your back! Easy 4hrs job with a ramp and air tools.

The ird end case needs sealant, stc50550 iirc, black flexible stuff as used for 300tdi sumps etc.

I thought it was stc 611, the white stuff in the little conveluted bottle?

Must be a bit of a pain to get the splines enguaged in everything at the same time.

£375 doesn't sound too bad, john. If that's inlcuding the parts.

I thought it was stc 611, the white stuff in the little conveluted bottle?

Must be a bit of a pain to get the splines enguaged in everything at the same time.

£375 doesn't sound too bad, john. If that's inlcuding the parts.

Nope, stc611 is used for 1.8 sumps and cam carriers but for some strange reason only known to the genius's at LR they dont use it for the ird, doesnt make sense but thats nothing new on lr's!

Can be a pain, just need someone to turn the ird and engine over by hand so the splines line up, eventually!