3.5 V8 to 3.9 V8

Mr Bean, assuming you go down the efi route it will all be Range Rover kit anyway, so no probs. Before you buy tanks though, think about where you are going to put them (don't ask how I know :angry: ).

You seem to be in a similar position that I was, with the will it be 3.5 or 3.9, auto or manual, carbs or efi, which LPG etc. If my experience is of any help, I would suggest (as per your original statement) that you try to buy a good running RR with the closest configuration to what you want. Otherwise, you will end up with (1) a garage full of bits, (2) Spending your life searching for missing bits, (3) Spending twice as much and (4) Working out how all the bits go together.

I currently have the 3.5 V8 with SU carbs. Ideally i will buy a RR with 3.9 EFI manual with LPG and no tax or mot for under £500.

Hopefully everything will go to plan.

What work did you have done?

I bought a 110 V8 with knackered gearbox with the intention of converting to automatic. Spent the last 9 months trying to find the 'right' parts i.e not ebay junk. Pretty much gave up and bought a recon LT85 to put in just so I could use it. The following week came across a guy locally who was breaking a rangie he had spent a fortune on with recon. 3.9 engine, gbox and transfer box plus a new sequential LPG (there is a god!). So have now taken out the old drivetrain and have started to clean up the engine bay ready for the install. Unfortunately the 110 doesn't fit in the garage, so am waiting for weather to warm up again.

I will try and take some pics and start a thread on the project. It is time consuming, but enjoyable and hopefully worth it in the end.

If you are planning on keeping the vehicle, I would say (for peace of mind) it is worth holding out for a good donor. You spend a bit more up front, but as you will find out, it is a job you don't want to repeat too often.

Wow you guys are having fun! I intend to one day complete a 3.9 efi in an MGB GT. I've had the plenum chamber and intake manifold thing machined down to fit it under the stock bonnet. A masaged cam and high compression could see 250HP out of it. That B would buzz!! It will be mated to a T5 transmission out of a Camaro via an antique Buick bellhousing. I wish 3.9s were so available on this side of the pond! This engine will be expensive!