A question for the welding stig

I am about to weld the thin sheet on the disco roof back together. I have already welded a filler below the join and have noticed that this has caused the natural curve of the roof to flatten out. If I was to weld the last piece in from below would that cause the metal to bend in the other direction (ie put the curve back in the roof). Just wondering as I had heard somewhere that it is possible to curve quite thick metal by running a continuous bead along it.

Otherwise are there any hints as to how to weld the roof without it bending down any more?

cheers

Mark

yes and no,

playing distortion is used with heavy plate - but even then its not a science as plate will react in a unique way according to grain structure, temperature etc, the guy that tought us to weld (hallowed be George, RIP) used to tell tales of chucking buckets of water on hull claddings and strategic peeing to bring things into line (he spent years building submarine hulls) but with bodywork you are going to well up against it. if you want supersmooth lovelyness you've got a couple of options - either low-amp tig the whole thing and use a backstep approach or tap it back into shape, make a jig to hold the arc of the roof panel, tack that on, then weld short sections quickly and alternately, allowing time to cool - when you have finished cut the jig off. If the panel isn structural then dont weld it fully - fill the rest.

hitting the other side will pull it back to a degree but you are going to have a fight on your hands :(

F6%2089.JPG

F6%2093.JPG

Guest WALFY

A mate who had some work done on his RRC bobtail had his rear panel glued together. The bloke who did it used an acrylic adhesive. I can't remember the name of the company, when I called them direct I was asked to send in my request by fax and they'd deal withit. As I don't have fax I gave up and am still looking for a source.

Poor representitive diagram Sorry

===============

=====================

================================

======+++++++++++++++++++============

===========================================

------------------------------ ---------------------------------------

-------------- Panels placed end to end

++++++++ Waste from pop rivets or small rods 2-3mm in dia

======== Acrylic adhesive

HTH

This is a VERY strong repair.