200TDI Cam/timing belt change

Mark

I have read Chris's excellent write up on doing the 200TDI cam belt on his defender from the tech archicve, but could somone confirm that it is the same for the discovery? There were a couple of comments on the thread which indicated they might be different.

Thanks

Mark

(Chris, rest assured, the timing hasn't failed on the disco following this weekends escapades with crank dampeners ... I just decided that I really ought to do the cam belt, since I have never done it on this car, and don't know when it was last done, and cos I will probably have to take the timing chest cover off to get the offending woodruff key back in place.)

Discoverys and Range Rovers have a similar setup but with an extra idler pulley opposite the tensioner. Some things are a different shape, like the timing chest but otherwise it is the same job.

I am glad that one brother got home under his own steam. :D

Chris

is there any major differences in the timing belt set up on the disco, i've noticed in a few mags that alot of places call for chassis numbers to determine what complete camblet kit is required. but when you go on mr craddocks there only seems to be one belt and tensioner option.

Discovery 200Tdi---------------- timing belt ETC8550-----------tensioner ERR2530

Defender both belt & tensioner same part numbers as above, straight from my EPC :i-m_so_happy:

it's the 300Tdi that had belt alignment problems & 2 types of timing belt kit were issued depending on chassis number, there's been no problem with 200Tdi engines.