Jump to content

Seized Drag Link Adjusters


DiscoClax
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi all,

Despite soaking mine in CRC, bashing with hammers, heating, hoicking on vice grips, and various form of swearing at them... I still have seized adjusters on my drag link. Is there a trick to freeing them up? It seems that it's not an uncommon issue from what I can glean so hopefully someone can provide some much appreciated advice.

Thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Have tried the stillson's with a nice long length of pipe and a bit of applied attitude and heat... with no luck :( Any other suggestions, or should I just give up and get a replacement drag link assembly? :unsure:

About twenty-five years ago one of the tyre places was offering a free alignment check (but - who'd have guessed it - you had to pay a fixed fee for any adjustments needed) so... Being cynical, I worked on the basis that they would always recommend adjustment and took my series one down... They fell for it and (IIRC) charged about a fiver for an hour of struggle :D

They did it with heat - much more heat than I would have liked to use though... They used oxy-acetylene and I could see sparks at times!

Rog

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good one, Rog :)

I must admit I had similar thoughts and got my alignment checked when I had the tyres fitted last week. Unfortunately the wheel alignment was spot-on and so they didn't have to tweak anything, and they didn't even charge me for it. However the steering wheel is off-centre, as it has always been since I bought the beast a couple of years ago. About a year ago I got the workshop supervisor at work to have a crack at it and he worked on it for over half an hour and got the link ends glowing with the oxy and the bl**dy things still wouldn't budge. I think I might just write it off and find a good used one which isn't seized beyond hope.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi all,

Despite soaking mine in CRC, bashing with hammers, heating, hoicking on vice grips, and various form of swearing at them... I still have seized adjusters on my drag link. Is there a trick to freeing them up? It seems that it's not an uncommon issue from what I can glean so hopefully someone can provide some much appreciated advice.

Thanks.

I assume you've actually removed the drag link and joints completely? I generally find beating the c*ap out of the threaded tube ends on an anvil works - can never move them whilst still on the motor ... even when the 3 foot stillsons start to twist the tube!

AndyG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When I did mine i had the sense to source a decent secondhand one before I started, as I'd played this game before with my old defender...

good job really as we managed to tear it in half with two pairs of Stillsons, two big blokes and a big vice... it just let go and 'unwrapped' itself.. :huh:<_<:unsure::angry:

I've got a pair of Britpart extra-strong solid bar ones now, as i bent yet another standard trackrod.

certainly a good use of £85, as I know I'll have to go to some lengths to bend these... :unsure:

When you put it back together, pour engine oil into the tube, and fit the ball joints with loads of grease on the threads, that way the oil is always trying to leak out, and will hopefully stop the water getting in... :rolleyes:

;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience. By using our website you agree to our Cookie Policy