Waterproofing stock fuel filler cap

FridgeFreezer

The standard 2-prong filler cap has a nice seal round it as standard, and only the small vent in the centre to let water in when wading. Assuming I fit a breather from some other point on the tank, is there any reason not to stick a blob of sealant/weld/chewing gum in the hole to seal it up?

Only thing I'd say is is that it would be wise to fit some tip-over vents so that if you do put the truck on it's roof, you don't empty the tank out through the breather pipe and start a fire in the process. tends to be a little ball valve that is used on motorcycles et cetera

You can get those valves out of a scrappy, modern cars have them as standard. (At least my Metro did).

So what was the modern car that had one as standard then? :huh:;)

Are they obvious / easy to find or are they tucked away and a PITFA to get to?

So what was the modern car that had one as standard then? :huh:;)

Are they obvious / easy to find or are they tucked away and a PITFA to get to?

Anyone knows Metros are state of the ark technology.

Yes they are tucked away, they connect to the filler tube and then form a loop up the C post.

I'm thinking of doing something similar to my SIII, it has under-seat fill so I'm looking at replacing the filler cap with a disc to which will be fitted a Metro sealed, non-vented, locking filler cap and then a looped breather pipe installed. The idea is that if the car rolls however it ends up there will a loop of pipe higher than the car so petrol won't leak out.

Aaah, the convoluted breather method. It's a good theory but since LR's tend to end up on their side not their roof you'd have to loop it left to right and back, for full protection you would also have to loop it up and back down below tank level which means you have a lot of breather pipe to tuck in.

I suppose though you only really need to loop it to the dimensions of the tank as the fuel can't get further than that anyway, or would it siphon itself if you make it too close?