Carmichael Fire Vehicles

David Sparkes

I am wondering if anyone here has dirty hands on experience of the Land Rover based Fire vehicles made in the past by Carmichaels of Worcester.

Specifically it's the FT6 style I'm interested in. FT6 Catalogue.

I've found a few pictures on the web of shiney red bits, but it's the underneath I'm more interested in, thus 'dirty hands on'.

I've searched all the forums with varioius Search Terms, Carmichael, Fire Engine, Fire, and not flushed out much.

There is suppossedly a picture in the Gallery, but the Search couldn't find it.

Note that a S2 A or B Forward Control is a different animal altogether, and is not relevant to my enquiry.

Cheers.

I am wondering if anyone here has dirty hands on experience of the Land Rover based Fire vehicles made in the past by Carmichaels of Worcester.

Specifically it's the FT6 style I'm interested in. FT6 Catalogue.

I've found a few pictures on the web of shiney red bits, but it's the underneath I'm more interested in, thus 'dirty hands on'.

I've searched all the forums with varioius Search Terms, Carmichael, Fire Engine, Fire, and not flushed out much.

There is suppossedly a picture in the Gallery, but the Search couldn't find it.

Note that a S2 A or B Forward Control is a different animal altogether, and is not relevant to my enquiry.

Cheers.

Not 'hands on' and 'dirty' but a little bit of info. here:-

http://www.nationaltransportmuseum.org/fev003.html

• 1 month later...

Carmichael also built a few fire engines on the LR forward control. The ones I have seen pictures of appears (both from the looks and from the reg.no.) to be based on S2B FCs.

I think they were built in both 2-door and 4-door versions.

Does anyone know more about these vehicles?

Also, does anyone know if the S3-based vehicles looking like the S2A-based FT/6 are also called FT/6 ? And the "name" of the more modern and futuristic GRP-bodied Carmichael model ?

Cheers,

Ketil

• 2 weeks later...

I think all Carmichael LR fire engines were called Redwing - at least the S2A based FT/5 (bonneted control 109") and FT/6 (forward control 109", like "Bolly") were marketed as Redwings.

The FT/6 also exist in a S3 based version, similar to the S2A one, but with flat body sides:

s3ft6.jpg

Then there is the one that does not look very much like a Land Rover

carmichael2.jpg

Is this also called FT/6 ?

The S2B carmichael I was thinking about does not look like the ex-MoD S2B fire engine pictured in the previous post (that type was built by HCB Angus). UInfortunately I do not have any pictures of that type available at the moment...