cylinder block core plugs

jericho

Driving home today engine temp rose dramatically.

On inspection coolant was squirting out of a pin hole in the centre of a cylinder block core plug.

I threw in a bottle of rad weld and the leak evenetually stopped.

So now I suppose I ought to change the core plug.

Any advice would be good,because I haven't got a clue.

I suppose the old one will come out easy enough if I pierce the centre with a screw driver,but how do I put the new one in?

Is any sealant used?

The plug in question is right behind the turbo (300 tdi) - is there any way to do it without removing the exhaust manifold and turbo?

Thanks,look forward to hearing of some sneaky little trick to do it in a matter of minutes.

Changing a core plug is very easy as long as you can get at it.

Knock a screwdriver through the plug where the hole is, then lever it out (careful not to knock it inside the water jacket).

If the plug rotates as you hit it, the lever it out with the screwdriver or pull it out with a pair of pliers or mole grips.

Clean around the edges and surrounding area and apply a thin film of threadlock or similar to the edge of the new plug and the edge of the hole it's going in.

Get a socket or simlar that fits nicely inside the cup of the new plug and knock it in with a hammer until the lip of the new plug is level with the surface of the block/head. Wipe off excess sealant and the jobs a good-un. :)

Les.

Driving home today engine temp rose dramatically.

On inspection coolant was squirting out of a pin hole in the centre of a cylinder block core plug.

I threw in a bottle of rad weld and the leak evenetually stopped.

So now I suppose I ought to change the core plug.

Any advice would be good,because I haven't got a clue.

I suppose the old one will come out easy enough if I pierce the centre with a screw driver,but how do I put the new one in?

Is any sealant used?

The plug in question is right behind the turbo (300 tdi) - is there any way to do it without removing the exhaust manifold and turbo?

Thanks,look forward to hearing of some sneaky little trick to do it in a matter of minutes.

When mine went in the same place i ended up dropping the exhaust manifold off to get at it. You may be able to get the old one out without removing the manifold but its next to near impossible to knock the new one in square with the manifold still in place. I ended up changing all 3 on that side, the other 2 looked ok when removed, so I guess the plating had gone on the duff one.

Whilst you are at it, remove the brass drain plug on the side of the block near the front core plug on that side. With the core plugs out stuff a garden hose through each hole. Stick ur fingers through the other holes and you will feel the cylinders inside the block. At their bottoms where they attach to the block you will probably find a load of crud. Just backflushing will never remove this. Have a good scratch round with a wooden scraper and you will be surprised how much crud washes out. Take care with your fingers as the inside of the casting is rough and may have sharp edges.