Auto box woes

Turbocharger

Have you checked you have the correct spacers that sit either side of the flex plate? There is a procedure given in the workshop manual that shows you how to measure this and then select the correct shims. There should be a thick spacer with a step in it that sites straight on the end of the crank, then a shim, then the flex plate, and then another plate about 1/4" thick that sits the other side.

Its in the 300Tdi overhaul manual if you have the Rave CD. There are about 10 different thicknesses of shim to choose from.

The flex plate should bolt straight up to the torque converter. Also make sure that you have the correct dowels in place between the bellhousing and rear cover (do NOT be tempted to leave them out) You need to be careful here as if its incorrectly shimmed or aligned etc the flex plates break very quickly!

Cheers

Jon

Flex plate? It's harder than that - because it's a conversion from bits that are available, the torque converter bolts directly to a manual flywheel and I 'thought' that's what the conversion plate (a replacement for the flywheel housing) was set up for, although it appears not.

The guy who's doing it has done quite a few auto conversions including for a couple of guys on here, so I have faith that he's not feeding me a line. Rather than hack the kit about he's having a ring machined up to space the t/c away from the flywheel so it'll all bolt up. There'll be a little more inertia but with a flywheel and t/c in there too, not a massive difference and it's no racing car anyway.