Auto box woes

Turbocharger

I bought a V8 4spd autobox and a conversion plate to a Tdi, but it doesn't seem to fit my 300Tdi - although since I'm 200 miles away I can't tell why not and the bloke on the phone can't describe it to me so I understand, especially since I haven't had the back end of the engine apart. He's having trouble with the flywheel housing, crank rear oil seal and the adapter plate to allow the 'box to mount up - something about an unsupported area at the bottom.

Could anyone post some pics to explain what's going wrong?

Has anyone got the right bits to put it together (with exchange 200Tdi bits)?

Can he make it work with what I've got already?

TC, I just tried to give you a call - Sorry I couldn't get back to you yesterday!

Basically, you're problem is that on the 200 Tdi the rear main oil seal is held in place by the backplate whereas on the 300 tdi a separate housing bolts into the block. Unfortunatly the V8 autobox has a differant bellhousing the the tdi one so it isn't a case of getting hold of a 300 Tdi auto backplate. However, it not a massive problem as, AFAIK, all the bolt holes in the backplate you have are in the right place and to make it fit you just need to remove some material from the backplate you have to clear the rear main oil seal housing.

Give me a shout if you've got any problems.

I'd suggest flog what you've got on, and look for a 300tdi autobox complete. Its then a nuts and bolts job, plus the shift points in the box will be correct for the lower revving diesel!

Jon

TC, Jon has a point that you do want to make sure you have all the bits. However, shift points are probably OK as I've seen a couple of these conversions and they were done propperly and at HUGE cost (can't remember the name of the company, though).

I wouldn't bother trying to get a few 300 parts - they'll come up very rarely. However, the bits you will be able to find are the flex plate (~ £30 S/H, £100 for an HD one from M&D), a backplate (~ £100 S/H, £250 new), the adaptor to go onto the crank (IIRC ~£50 new) and the torque convertor (from Ashcrofts, not sure on a price). The hard part will be the Tdi bellhousing which you probably won't find without a Tdi 'box.

FYI, my box and TC cost £300 (which then went off to Ashcrofts) plus annother £100 for the backplate, £100 for the flexplate and the £50 odd for the adaptor on the crank, TC bolts etc etc.

I'm hoping I've already got most of the bits I need to put it together, it's supposed to be a conversion on the cheap. It's already out of my control since I've got someone else doing the work (paid by the hour too) but I'm hoping I can hack enough space into the 200Tdi flywheel housing to fit around the 300Tdi oil seal, then bolt it all together. Otherwise, the R380 can go back in with a new clutch and the whole shooting match can hit the Classifieds...

Right, I've had a look at what I've got and it's all ready for a 200Tdi. Sadly I have a 300 so my options are to hack a hole in it to take a 300 rear seal, or use the dowel holes which are still on the 300 block casting and use a complete 200-style rear crank seal. I think the latter option will work, but has anyone actually tried this?

It seems a shame to destroy a rare 200Tdi setup for the sake of making it fit yours? Why not get the R380 put back with the original clutch, find a 300Tdi kit and we can fit it all at my house one weekend - and you can leave the 200Tdi bits here for safe re-cycling. ;)

Chris

use the dowel holes which are still on the 300 block casting and use a complete 200-style rear crank seal. I think the latter option will work, but has anyone actually tried this?

This is what I did to fit an LT77 gearbox to a 300.

daan

Excellent - thanks Daan. It adds up in my mind but I wanted to check. I will have a halfway house arrangement with a 300Tdi and a 200Tdi back-end and seal. This

a ) gives me a 250Tdi?? :)

b ) will make my kit work using off-the-shelf bits

c ) won't cost me any more money

d ) means I can flog the bits as an auto kit to a 200Tdi owner if I ever break the car up

Chris - the offer of your driveway is appreciated but I've already committed to big spendy ideas with a chap in Bristol. It's unjustified anyway since I still have your angle gauge and don't deserve more help from you... :)

Guest diesel_jim

TC, not sure of you need one, but i've got a 300 flywheel housing (the bit that bolts to the block, and the gearbox bolts to it) if it's any use?

Progress continues, the backplate is bolted up to the engine with plenty of Locktite and the gearbox was offered up, but when he came to put the torque converter bolts in he found they aren't long enough. (Insert spiel about flex plates and fluid flywheels that I didn't really understand down the phone - I thought he was bolting the torque conv to the flywheel without using a flex plate... )

Problem is, it doesn't fit. He wants to mill half an inch off the conversion plate (the flywheel housing) to bring it all into line - he's checking his measurements.

My question - can't I achieve a very similar thing by adding spacers between the torque converter and the flywheel? At that radius they won't see much torque - the only issue I can see is locating the t/c centrally - any ideas?

can't I achieve a very similar thing by adding spacers between the torque converter and the flywheel?

you certainly can, it's exactly what some yank boxes do to convert older boxes to take new ali engines.

don't just use washers or something silly like that- get a properly made up ali disc, machined to tolerance. you will also need longer bolts, but they will need to be ideally collared, at least of a very high tensile strength- the ones i have are 10.9 i think!

I can't help feeling it'll cost me more to get a disc machined up than it will to lop half an inch of the flywheel housing though?

Maybe, maybe not but its a more elegant solution. I can't understand why it doesn't all fit together as the kit you have should be near complete and, as the backplate's custom, why it wasn't made correctly. Hmmm, not a chance of some photos is there?

He reckons he put the backplate onto the engine using a 200Tdi crank seal, put the t/c into the autobox and tried to bolt the t/c up to the flywheel but the bolts are too short. I can't easily get any photos because his workshop's a long way from everywhere else.

Option 3 is to put the manual back in with a new clutch and forget the whole automatic plan but it's a bit defeatist. :(

He reckons he put the backplate onto the engine using a 200Tdi crank seal, put the t/c into the autobox and tried to bolt the t/c up to the flywheel but the bolts are too short. I can't easily get any photos because his workshop's a long way from everywhere else.

Option 3 is to put the manual back in with a new clutch and forget the whole automatic plan but it's a bit defeatist. :(

No, option 3 isn't really an option now you've got this far! I found my conversion took a while (it took a professional with me helping about 7-8 FULL days to get it sorted). Surely you'd without fitting that the whole thing wouldn't fit as the distance from flywheel face to mounting face must equal TC face to mounting face....

He's not doing something silly like using normal TC bolts is he? I know it sounds stupid but its worth checking as they will be too short given the extra thickness of the flywheel over a flexplate.....