AFM Mounting.

Having now found all the bits and pieces and fabricated a mounting bracket template for installing the flapper AFM in my Land Rover 110, I was wondering...

Most AFM installations I can recall are attached to bodywork, independent of the engine. Due to lack of options / space, my AFM bracket neatly attaches to the redundant alternator bracket on the Range Rover engine (alternator is mounted other side on 110) - thus directly to the engine.

Are there any rules for this? Is the AFM vibration sensitive hence why on bodywork? Anyone know the answer - is engine mounting really a no no.

Thanks FF - So cardboard, gaffer tape and binder twine will be OK then :o. - I have told you I just want to get this thing of beauty useable for now (and to pass the underbonnet fashion police :D ).

Research and popular opinion seem to suggest it to be safer on the bodywork, so will now go and have another play (and melt another couple of drill bits!!)

Don't know if it applies to the AFm on V8's but with things like the peugeot 205 GTi which uses the flap type AFM you have to be careful of the orientation as the spring is set to suit the mounting position. ie if it is mounted on it's side originally then should be mounted the same when repositioned (usually when fitting an induction kit) as failing to do so screws the fueling up quite badly.

HTH

Pete.

What he said ^^^ also I think they can be fussy about the length of pipe from AFM to plenum.

Best off in the WPB if you ask me :D

I have no doubts about my orientation ;) - totally original.

WPB??? (I lead a sheltered existence but assume you are still trying to persuade me to junk it.)

I managed to find a sexy bit of Granada 90 degree inlet tubing that does a perfect job circa 9-12" so should be OK on that front.

OK Guys, give me a break. As mentioned before, my plan seems logical to me.

However... I am always open to good advice, so on the basis that I have a 3.9 with 3.5 flapper (OK this will need some tweaking), a completely seperate (bar the 8 injector feeds spliced) LPG loom and ECU, why would you jump straight in with MS?

My understanding was that MS, even V3, could not switch maps (Petrol to LPG), I believe called dual maps(?) in line with the fuel switch. Also it would involve the seemingly prefered change to hotwire injectors etc... and wiring... etc... and more wiring... and time.

I will repeat my logic. Get the known thing running as it was, make sure everything OK and then start thinking about mods (e.g megasquirt etc.), when they are up to doing what I want. Plus, do I really need a fancy mapping system when hopefully 90% of time will be on LPG?

The case for the defense m'lud.

Not telling you to do anything, just a bit of Lucarse banter ;)

Your flapper system shouldn't need tweaking, being Mass Airflow (MAF) it should get the fuelling as right as it ever did as it directly measures the mass of air going into the engine and injects fuel in proportion. MAF systems are tolerant of capacity changes etc. because of this.

To answer your MS questions:

- All MS's can switch maps with the "MSnS-Extra" code, it's just easiest to add the circuitry to the V3 boards. It can be triggered or untriggered by +12v or 0v. If you use one of the MS's outputs you can configure it to switch the LPG automatically once the engine is up to temperature. Or you could set it for staged injection and run both at once :blink:

- You can run any injectors, both my own installs are/were running 3.5 injectors with the resistor pack in place, the 109 is running 3.9 injectors now. God only knows what Nige is running, probably something from the space shuttle :ph34r: The 3.9 ones are preferred simply because they require no resistor pack and have the highest flow of the lot.

- If your LPG system has injectors then there is a good reason to run MS as you can use one ECU to run both fuel systems, if you add EDIS or coil drive to it you can then run proper ignition maps for both fuels too rather than a compromise timing on the dizzy.

Wouldn't say you should or shouldn't, if you just want to get the truck working and stable before tinkering I can sympathise with that ;)

FF - Appreciate the banter bit, that is what makes this forum a firm favourite. Not too many high horses :D.

I just like to get things right and if there is a better / more logical way to do things then I am all ears. I think at the moment due to time and the 'known quantity' I will stick as I am, but would be worth a chat with you at some stage to go into the MS option in more detail. Thanks for your feedback anyway.

Off to metal man to get my modified :lol: AFM bracket fabricated now.