Captive nuts/bolts

ROGUE TROOPER

"... bolts that fit into the chassis and "splay" out ...

Rivnuts, possibly with other names, but that is almost a generic term now.

There are special tools to install them, but if you only have a few to do, collect a bolt, nut, and a flat washer, with a bit of oil, EP differential oil is good.

Screw the nut on the bolt, then the flat washer, then the rivnut (plain end leading), so the bolt is just showing through the rivnut threads.

Oil between the nut and the washer, and the bolt threads inside the plain unthreaded end of the rivnut.

Insert the rivnut in the hole, holding the bolt stationary, screw the nut onto the flat washer until both are flush with the rivnut flange. Continue turning the nut, and the bolt will collapse the rivnut onto the back of the plate, chassis, whatever.

It should be obvious when to stop.

HTH

Instead of the washer use a piece of steel, about 1 inch x 3 inches with a hole drilled in the end. Hold this piece of steel with your third hand whilst tightening up the nut.

Using the washer alone may allow the it and the rivnut (aka Nutsert) to rotate when you tighten the nut.

If you do want the special tool I've seen them for £90.00 + VAT, I can do a kit for about £60.00 + vat, genuine Eclipse too!

Given that rivnuts struggle to hold a step on I have my doubts they'd hold a winch on :blink:

Rivnuts were used originally, but along with beefy nuts and bolts through the bumper.