Laning - Bath to Cirencester on the Fosse

2 LandRovers (with baggage) seek like-minded vehicles with scenic tendencies for light-treading entertainment in the Somerset/Gloucestershire area. Must have camera, please send picture of tyres.

Fosse Way, southbound from Kemble, 16th Oct.

Turbo,

Where will you meet and at what time? I live just the other side of Ciren and would like to join the group.

Nigel

I've not actually checked that the station has a car park but...

10am, Kemble Railway Station car park. CB channel 22.

Map

Mr Trodden is bringing a packed lunch so I'll be doing likewise. Fi's wavering over whether her steering is broken or not (although the Fosse is a roman road so she shouldn't need it... ) :lol:

I've not actually checked that the station has a car park but...

10am, Kemble Railway Station car park. CB channel 22.

Map

Mr Trodden is bringing a packed lunch so I'll be doing likewise. Fi's wavering over whether her steering is broken or not (although the Fosse is a roman road so she shouldn't need it... ) :lol:

OK, see you on Sunday at the station.

Nigel

Well, a cracking day out with plenty of scenery, views and good weather. A ludicrous "packed lunch" (feast) from Lucy with homebaked bread, pizza and even a birthday cake from my girlfriend Rachel. The lanes got harder as the day pressed on and we refused the final lane as impossible(!) but saw some good offroading in the meantime. Fi managed to embarrass herself by 'losing' reverse gear as she tried to 3-point turn out of the way of an oncoming car, and Nigel worked very hard playing 'tail end Charlie' to my legendary navigation.

Overall, 9/10 and plans for more again soon :)

JB

Thanks, John. A really good day's laning. If we had tried that last lane, I think that we would have still been there now. Definately one for the GLASS people to have a look at.

All in all, a great re-entry into the laning world. I will definately be joining Glass again, and doing much more laning from now on.

Thanks, John. A really good day's laning. If we had tried that last lane, I think that we would have still been there now. Definately one for the GLASS people to have a look at.

All in all, a great re-entry into the laning world. I will definately be joining Glass again, and doing much more laning from now on.

So what's that bit of the fosseway like then? I was told that it's as flat as a pancake and gravelled so haven't bothered doing it yet.

Yes, most of the bit that we did is exactly as described, but the scenery is absolutely beautiful. If you want 'challenging off-roading', I guess that a play site is the best option. There are lots of more traditional green-lanes around the fosse, though. We found a few of them around Bath to be more interesting in a driving sense, and one of them to be pretty much in-passable.

Thanks JB!

I had a brilliant day, as Troddenmasses said the Fosse Way has some beautiful scenery, and as it wasn't a challenging drive I got to appreciate the view. I drove it a few years ago, before it had all the repair work done, and to be honest I didn't notice the scenery because of the state of the route.

JB did add a little more interesting driving to the end of the day, and I even managed a scream or two!

Fi managed to embarrass herself by 'losing' reverse gear as she tried to 3-point turn

Hey :angry: at least I didn't manage to "lose" anything else, like an oil cap..... :P

I think I was just a little flustered, there was a car in front of me waiting to drive down the road, and a car behind me waiting to drive up the road, three 90's in front of me were driving rapidly away from me, and I was trying to get off the road and on to a tight right angled entrance to a lane.

Err, thanks for the advice, but I wasn't looking for 'challenging off-roading' as that would hardly be appropriate on a greenlane. I just prefer to go somewhere where I actually need my LR rather than a regular road car.

Well, a cracking day out with plenty of scenery, views and good weather. A ludicrous "packed lunch" (feast) from Lucy with homebaked bread, pizza and even a birthday cake from my girlfriend Rachel. The lanes got harder as the day pressed on and we refused the final lane as impossible(!) but saw some good offroading in the meantime. Fi managed to embarrass herself by 'losing' reverse gear as she tried to 3-point turn out of the way of an oncoming car, and Nigel worked very hard playing 'tail end Charlie' to my legendary navigation.

Overall, 9/10 and plans for more again soon :)

JB

John,

A great day. Let me know when you plan to do the afternoon lanes again as i need to put scratches on the other side of the Defender now !

BTW, is Bath always such a pain to get across?

Nigel

John,

A great day. Let me know when you plan to do the afternoon lanes again as i need to put scratches on the other side of the Defender now !

BTW, is Bath always such a pain to get across?

Nigel

Most weekends are good for a little laning around Bath, someone suggest a date! We went and found one that really needs a morning to get three cars down it, I reckon. It's rocky but has suffered neglect so there'd be little impact on the lane's surface but perhaps considerable impact on the vehicle's surface :unsure: unless we put quite a lot of work into rebuilding walls and moving the larger rocks.

Bath's normally a proper pain to get across, the traffic's quite light on a Sunday afternoon...

I just prefer to go somewhere where I actually need my LR rather than a regular road car.

Ant, you could drive most of it with a standard freelander, I wouldn't take a road car on it, there are small patches of uneven ground.

It's up to you obviously, we were just giving the opinion you asked for! :(

JB - can you upload some piccies, I'm sure you took some...

The only one that I have that came out is of John appearing from the end of the 'interesting' lane. The tarmac ended on quite a slope, and the lane got worse and worse, until we decided not to carry on. I decided to reverse the 1/4 mile back to the road, but John managed to turn around. Unfortunately, his girlfriend had to be at the train station about 15 minutes after this picture was taken, so there was a definate land rover shaped blur in the direction of Bath just after this picture was taken.

john.jpg