Disco 2 V8

BadBob

Hi all new to this but here goes I am thinking about buying aV8 disco 2 any advise would be welcome . ICan't seem to find many artical's on V8 models somebody out there must like them? Was ACE standard any real life MPG figures .Thanks

Welcome :)

I love mine but they are a bit thirsty like all V8s - in mixed driving (mostly round town) probably about 15-16mpg average. Wouldn't swap it for a Td5 though, a diesel Discovery just doesn't seem right to me, though I love the Tdi in a Defender.

ACE is not std - mine doesn't have ACE or SLS and is all the better for having less to go wrong.

I would have bought a V8 and converted to gas if the company I work for would have allowed it! You'd pay less at the pump (or double the mpg) and you'll pay less road tax - I think that is still the case, anyway!

I'd love one! The TD5 just lacks that bit of oomph that the V8 has an abundance of!! Given the choice again, it would be a V8 and sod what the boss says!

ACE wasn't standard and as BM says, it means there is a lot less to go wrong! Mine doesn't suffer for not having it, but I rarely use it fully loaded!

The V8 is a good engine, but remember it hails from the early 60's in design so will need regular maintanence such as oil and filter changes. Do this and it should be reliable.

MPG will suck and range from 12-21 depending on driving style and road conditions. Average will probably be 14-16MPG for most.

If you like to drive spritied and a lot on road then I think ACE is a great thing to have as it will keep the vehicle more level in the corners.

Don't discount a TD5 though, sure in stock trim they may not be the fastest, but Twisted Performance have their TD5 Defender upto 220bhp with just a few bolt ons and it'll see better MPG than a V8. But the V8 will be smoother and of course sound way better!!! :D

Everyone has a V8 out here...the engines are fine but from what I've seen of the earlier models there was some issues with the braking software....all the warning lights on the dash keep coming on for no apparent reason and it takes a trip to the dealer to get it re-set. Later models seem to have been rectified.

Quite a few of the lads here have removed the air suspension and refitted springs and shocks too. The ACE makes a nice drive though...especially in boy racer mode.....but as is always the case it's just something else to go wrong.The valve block is expensive to replace hence the change to conventional shocks & springs etc.

The GULF spec was a 4.0 Thor block & plenum. Not as home mechanic freindly as the 3.9 from previous years.

there was some issues with the braking software....all the warning lights on the dash keep coming on for no apparent reason and it takes a trip to the dealer to get it re-set.

Mine does that, usually if there is a lot of wheelspin e.g. suddenly booting it hard on loose gravel with lots of LH steering lock seems to cause it fairly predictably.

Fortunately I have an IDS at work so resetting the bong is not a major inconvenience and I have never bothered to find out why as it's only happened maybe half a dozen times in 5 years - might be a different story if I regularly used it off road but I have a Defender for that which does the job much better and doesn't have the three bongs fitted.