Turbo

upspurs

:angry: My Turbo whistled for about a year gradually getting worse. While driving the noise stopped and also the power was gone. I was able to drive it but had no power after 2000 rpm. I ordered a NEW turbo and drove the 300tdi for about a week doing about 200 miles mostly round town. The black smoke got worse and so I left it standing for 4 days. The new turbo was installed and it worked. But on test drive no power and loads of black smoke. The local garage that fitted it said the exhaust system is totally clogged up with oil deposits.

I am not sure what to do now. In the past year new gearboxes new injectors new cylinder head gasket fuel lift pump and and and....now this, can any one help and advise what could be done or have had the same s**t happened.

Thanks Paul.

Make sure it is not one of the turbo hoses collapsed internally (it will look fine on the outside) the usual culprit is the one coming out of the turbo and doing a sharp 90 deg bend heading to the intercooler, it delaminates inside and blocks the airflow. Produces exactly the symptoms you are describing.

The other no power/lots of smoke culprit is the EGR valve being jammed open, if your vehicle has EGR fitted.

Changing the turbo will make b&gger all difference to either of these!

I doubt the turbo was the problem in the first place I'm afraid. If it's the exhaust, then disconnect it underneath before the first silencer, the engine will still be very quiet. As Bogmonster says - possible EGR jammed open. Remove the inlet manifold pipe and look inside the manifold. If it's clogged up with 'marmite' then this has a significant effect on engine performance - depending on how much is in there.

Les.

• 2 weeks later...
I doubt the turbo was the problem in the first place I'm afraid. If it's the exhaust, then disconnect it underneath before the first silencer, the engine will still be very quiet. As Bogmonster says - possible EGR jammed open. Remove the inlet manifold pipe and look inside the manifold. If it's clogged up with 'marmite' then this has a significant effect on engine performance - depending on how much is in there.

Les.

Les I think you are right. I have blanked off the EGR and redeemed a bit of power and almost no smoke at all. I think I have to clean out the whole system ( intercooler, manifold ) from severe Marmite contamination, ( I am a Marmite hater anyway ) but the severe lack of power still worries me, am I looking at the wrong place as its nice to have a new turbo but I obviously need advice. Thanks Paul. :)

You will probably be able to determine the effect on the engine by how much marmite you have to clean out of the air supply system. Slosh petrol through the intercooler until it comes out clean, clean the inside of the pipework, and remove and clean the inlet manifold. If there is a lot of mess inside, then you should expect a significant difference in performance once it's removed.

Les.

Hi,

if you ave a cat fitted, they tend to block up, even using normal fuel. I've had a few with similar symptoms - no power, some wouldn't even idle!!!

Smash it through(if you're a tight one) or put a new one or a straight pipe on.

HTH

Dave