bloody landrovers

OK just before i power washed my chassis off I noticed a puddle of diesel under the tank after having a nose about the guard was damp with a diesel smelling liqiid any ideas? I have half a tank so im going to either leak/use the remanding fuel before i do anything else, anybody been here before? do we think its a porous hose or rotten tank?

Rob

Take the top of the seat box off from under the drivers seat. All the connections are there, so you would easily see if the leak is from any hose. If you have a reinforcing plate attached to the bottom of your tank and the leak is coming from betwwen there and the tank itself, then you could perhaps use tank sealant, which is put inside the empty, clean tank and is sloshed around and tipped back out again. This forms a plastic coating on the inside which seals the leak. Otherwise, a new tank.

Les.

Take the top of the seat box off from under the drivers seat. All the connections are there, so you would easily see if the leak is from any hose. If you have a reinforcing plate attached to the bottom of your tank and the leak is coming from betwwen there and the tank itself, then you could perhaps use tank sealant, which is put inside the empty, clean tank and is sloshed around and tipped back out again. This forms a plastic coating on the inside which seals the leak. Otherwise, a new tank.

Les.

Thanks Les

would it not only leak from pipes when being used? if its leaking when stood then it points more to the tank surely?

a good clean should show up where from

(i have couple if needbe)

best of luck try washer round bottom bung

Yea makes sense also I will drop you a PM if i need a tank

It seems to have stopped leaking today so points to a hole in the tank above where the fuel is now? But i have only done 6 miles today??? I will have a fiddle with her tomorrow

Thanks Les, Michael, I now have a plan comming together,

1 lift seat box check hoses,

2check washer on bunk

3 remove sender unit using blow tourch for light look in tank

I have allready power washed it off

I will let you now the result tuesday evening

Rob

The tank is leaking, checked all hoses and were fine, filled up with derv added a little pressure from compressor and watched a little stream of diesel coming from the front of the tank, So drained it of below the hole nice little job for the weekend

My brother just had to do this on his newly acquired 90.

Make sure that you have some replacement bolts to attach the new tank as at least some will be seized and need some remedial action!

Well managed to get the 90 stripped down tank out after work today< had to cut the filler breather pipe and grind of two bolts to the rear of the tank must have taken me 30 mins to get the right angle for the tank to "drop out". I had a quick go at re-fitting the new tank but gave up after 20 mins and went for food and beer will finish it tomorrow any tips for fitting greatly recived

The last time I replaced a 90 tank, the new one was too big to fit. Bought from Bearmach, the seam that joins the two halves together was quite a bit wider than the one I had removed. I had to grind the seam down to get it to fit.

Les

The last time I replaced a 90 tank, the new one was too big to fit. Bought from Bearmach, the seam that joins the two halves together was quite a bit wider than the one I had removed. I had to grind the seam down to get it to fit.

Les

Thanks Les will get my tape messure out

Well its amazing what can happen when you leave an awkward job and come back the next day with a fresh pair of eyes, the fuel tank all but jumped into place and bolted its self up!!! just got to put filler hoses and breather back on and bleed it up

And put some fuel in the tank mus remember that