Alternator connection's

suggs

on a 300 tdi Disco the leccy connections on the back of my alternator are screwed on and dont seem to be on a plug in fitting, is this normal or do some have plug fittings.

reason i ask is ive just ordered a new one and was told the new alternators now fit all 300 series Disco's. im wondering if ive been givern the correct info??

cars a 96 N reg commercial

cheers

H

It depends on the current output of the alternator, IIRC.

The 45A models have a plug, the larger models have stud & ring terminal connections.

yeah mine has the stud and ring, wonder whats gona turn up in the post then that they said will fit all versions..

You won't find a 45A alternator on any Discovery AFAIK - most are 100A to cope with aircon. So I doubt any Disco has the plug type alternator.

The "universal" alternators are usually a 65A stud and ring alt, supplied with a short fly lead a few inches long, this has ring terminals on one end to go to the alt, and a socket on the other to take the multiplug on the vehicle harness. The plugs are a bit of a liability with corrosion in the spade connectors, better to cut them off and wire direct to the alt IMHO.

You won't find a 45A alternator on any Discovery AFAIK - most are 100A to cope with aircon. So I doubt any Disco has the plug type alternator.

The "universal" alternators are usually a 65A stud and ring alt, supplied with a short fly lead a few inches long, this has ring terminals on one end to go to the alt, and a socket on the other to take the multiplug on the vehicle harness. The plugs are a bit of a liability with corrosion in the spade connectors, better to cut them off and wire direct to the alt IMHO.

it turned up today and looks to be the correct one, 100amp with the stud and ring connectors