OT - sort of, how to wire a PL259

Guest MJG

Surely these are wired the same as a TV co-ax..........

Centre connected to the pin in the middle and the outer shroud connected to the outer.

For some reason leaving the outer disconnected on the plug at the reciever end means we get better reception and a lower SWR reading. :unsure: :unsure:

At the antenna base it is clear the outer and the inner are co-joined......is that correct????

Clearly we are doing something wrong.... but what???????? :angry: :angry:

At the antenna base it is clear the outer and the inner are co-joined......is that correct????

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! that's really bad, you're shorting the antenna to ground, a really really bad thing to do.

there should be no continuity between the antenna and shield/ground what-so-ever.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! that's really bad, you're shorting the antenna to ground, a really really bad thing to do.

there should be no continuity between the antenna and shield/ground what-so-ever.

Maybe there shouldn't be but I have found on a LOT of commercially sold aerials (VHF 2 metre, not CB) that the antennas appear to have a dead short between centre and outer inside the antenna, and on some the outer is connected to the antenna mast and the inner appears to be connected to nothing. They are not defective antennas because I have tried several of some types.

I always check now when buying an antenna, to make sure that the inner is connected to the mast, and the outer is not connected to anything apart from the ground, the other antennas seem to work but it doesn't seem right to me either. If anybody can explain it I'd be interested!

Exactly what we thought.......how ever.....

Please explan why the mounts here..

http://www.thunderpole.co.uk/cb_radio_fixed_body_mounts.htm

All seem to have have the centre core of the mast as an integral part of the mount...

The centre core will be seperated [insulated from the vehicle body] inside the mount body, the outer braid will connect to the outer section & inner core should/will only connect to the aerial whip. if the inner core & outer braid are allowed to touch, the rig won't last very long & SWR will be incorrect & again eventually damage the rig.

just found this too

http://www.thunderpole.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=748 I should have looked there first :D it should get you sorted & on the air :D

I should have looked there first :D it should get you sorted & on the air :D

Yeah! that's what I meant :)

Thunderpole are well worth a look - lots of info on SWRing etc.

ps. CB's aint like radiocassettes/CD players - it's much easier to blow a CB - without knowing why - there's the logic