rangy 3.5

watson

hi ive got i bobtailed rangy with the manual fuel pump you can see pics on my gallerie it has an electic manual pump but it likes cutin out in about 15 min intervils and i ahvnt clue why could any 1 enlighten me please

hi ive got i very old bobtailed rangy you can see pics on my gallerie it has an electic manual pump but it likes cutin out in about 15 min intervils and i ahvnt clue why could any 1 enlighten me please

Hi Watson,

You listen to Deano as like your Bobtail Deano is also very old :D Hi ya Deano long time no see.

Peter

i shouldn't be because the floats in the bottom of the carbs should be blocking off the supply and any excess pumped by the pump should be flowed back to the tank.

so, check your floats and check that petrol is flowing back to the tank ( you should be able to dribble back into the tank through the filler )

failing that, the pump aint pumping enough ( despite what you think ) and so it slowly runs down the level in the float chamber and stalls.

• 4 weeks later...

I had a problem last year on a 72 Range rover where the inside of the fuel filter was loose, and the fuel flow would lift it up and it would push against the outlet and block it off. Turning the car off and restarting it would get it going again because the filter element would drop back down. Took me a while to find out what was going on! Worth checking the condensor though if you are losing the spark.

Are you sure it's fuel related - does it just run fine and then cut dead, cough or splutter, misfire, smell strongly of fuel, does the pump make any noise, does the coil get hot, have you checked/changed the filter (the pump has a filter in it which could be clogged up, you can buy the elements), etc. etc.

The pump is a Facet one so easy to replace although first stop is to be sure what's going on.

hi all,

i had the same happen to me a few years ago,the fuel line had come loose,and was in near contact with the exhaust,when the fuel line got hot,which took around 10 mins,the fuel would turn to vapor,causing the engine to stop,after cooling it would re start and run fine for another 10 mins,took me ages to trace..

I had a problem last year on a 72 Range rover where the inside of the fuel filter was loose, and the fuel flow would lift it up and it would push against the outlet and block it off. Turning the car off and restarting it would get it going again because the filter element would drop back down. Took me a while to find out what was going on! Worth checking the condensor though if you are losing the spark.

hi i took the fuel filter out and tried it and it didnt make a difference but cheers any way