TD5 Service schedules

Ok all our Land Rovers at work are serviced by a large fleet hire company in the midlands. About a fortnight ago a 04 registered TD5 110 SW went into be serviced 3 years old and 28,000 miles on the clock service seemed to be carried out they certainly changed the oil but seemed not to change the filter! Last week I was on holiday but I knew my 12 week old TD5 with 3000 miles on the clock was going in for service so I marked my oil filter and left for me week off.

Went back into work this am poped the bonnet low and behold the same marked up filter! but again the oils been changed! Now is it me or is some one a tad daft here? I questioned it with my transport manager who said the service company said a filter change wasn't on the first service schedule for my motor?!

What do you guy's reckon? I can't see why they would change the oil and not the filter? particularly at the first service of a brand new vehicle?

Matt

Ok all our Land Rovers at work are serviced by a large fleet hire company in the midlands. About a fortnight ago a 04 registered TD5 110 SW went into be serviced 3 years old and 28,000 miles on the clock service seemed to be carried out they certainly changed the oil but seemed not to change the filter! Last week I was on holiday but I knew my 12 week old TD5 with 3000 miles on the clock was going in for service so I marked my oil filter and left for me week off.

Went back into work this am poped the bonnet low and behold the same marked up filter! but again the oils been changed! Now is it me or is some one a tad daft here? I questioned it with my transport manager who said the service company said a filter change wasn't on the first service schedule for my motor?!

What do you guy's reckon? I can't see why they would change the oil and not the filter? particularly at the first service of a brand new vehicle?

Matt

Matt, Land Rover recommends changing the full-flow filter only every 36k/3 years. The rotor in the centrifugal filter should be changed every 12k/yearly along with the engine oil. If I can work the technology, you might find a picture of the service schedule attached. This is from the TD5 knowledgeBase at www.web-rover.co.uk.

I change the oil and both filters on mine every 6k/6 months, but then I'm a bit old-fashioned!!

Cheers,

Phil.

post-153-1180973945_thumb.jpg

What Phil says is spot on, those are LR's recommendations. In our workshops we change the rotor and oil every 6k and the full flow filter at 12k because new oil is the best investment you can make in the long term health of any engine.

What Phil says is spot on, those are LR's recommendations. In our workshops we change the rotor and oil every 6k and the full flow filter at 12k because new oil is the best investment you can make in the long term health of any engine.

Ours get jet washed and grease put over the rear door hinges piller. And I think thats about it... One went through the MOT / service and it wasn't even picked up that there was a lump of steel embedded in the spare tyre. Also had one where they didn't top up the brake fluid either.

At least we get a nice loaner vehicle for the day... :D

Ours get jet washed and grease put over the rear door hinges piller. And I think thats about it... One went through the MOT / service and it wasn't even picked up that there was a lump of steel embedded in the spare tyre. Also had one where they didn't top up the brake fluid either.

At least we get a nice loaner vehicle for the day... :D

we don't even get a loan vehicle!

Phil,

Thanks I must be old fashioned too! on a new vehicle I'd have dropped the filter and oil together but if LR know better then so be it!

Cheers

Matt

Matt,

When I had my TD5 110 it was a 6,000 mile interval but not filter changes as above. They reckon this is due to advances in oils etc.

When I had a diesel Audi A4 the first service from new was 18,000 miles!

The new Defenders are 12,000 miles (12 months) for the first service

• 2 years later...

Sorry bringing this issue again, but I have a doubt. I live in Colombia, a country where diesel is not the best (we have around 5% sulphur and a lot of dirt in it). In addition, our streets and roads are really dusty due to thier broken condition. Do you think I can take oil changes every 6k miles without changing filters (they are REALLY expensive in here), changing both of them every 12k? another little question: fuel filter must be replaced every....?