Turbo Woes!

MJIbex

What lifetime/mileage can you expect from your turbo?

The reason I ask is I reckon the turbo on my Td5 has just died :angry: , (fortunately still under warranty :) 9months and 4500 miles); lent the LR to the old man yesterday who notices in middle of 50 mile round trip the car down on power for about 10 miles then all seeming normal. Today light amounts of black smoke at idle and lots of white oil smelling/lingering smoke and nice bearing noises as boost comes on.

I guess the turbo siezed, hence loss of power and now has come back to life with knackered seals/bearings?

Has anyone else had early life failures or any ideas to prevent repeat issues? (I do let idle after hard work before shutting off).

Cheers

Mark.

If it's still under warranty then I guess the simplest answer would be to take it back to the dealers and let them find out what's wrong with it.

Cheers

Log

I agree - turbo's are expensive things, so you are lucky it's still guaranteed. If you feel inclined to check it, take the pipe off the cold side of the turbo and wiggle the impellor shaft. There should be a small amount of play in it because the shaft floats in oil when the engine is running. Normally, excessive wear is identified by the vanes scraping on the alloy housing. If it's siezed, then it would have to be due to a lubrication problem. If the vanes have been scraping on the housing, then particles of metal will have been blown into the engine. There could potentially be a lot of damage from this happening.

Les.

The LR's been recovered to work - Yes the turbo is knackered - The impeller flops around like a good un. Even better is the fact that turbos are on back order!!! 30th July EDD! Fortunately LR Assist have given me a disco 3 to use.