Dashboard direction indicator light broken?

cabbageboy

Chaps

Quick question - My disco (92, Disco 1) has a problem with the dashboard direction indicator light - it doesn't work...

When I got the car (3-4 months ago) it used to ocassionally work, but not for long - 3 flashes at most!

Now the external indicator lights are fine, and the relay clicks away no problems...Just the dash light doesn't work.

I've stripped the dash panel out tonight, and verified that it's NOT the dash bulb - switched around bulbs, and no, it's not that thats the problem...

Any other ideas where to look next? - Could the relay be the problem? - I can't lay my hands on a Discovery 1 electrical manual - I've got a Disco 2 version, but it does appear to be different..

Just wondered if by any chance someone else has had a similar problem...

Cheers

I had exactly the same problem on mine last year, it is almost certainly the flasher relay located on a bracket under the drivers side of the dashboard. I replaced mine with one from a scrappie and all is well again now.

Chris

'93 200tdi Disco

Yep

its the flasher relay. When I bought my first Disco the garage had it MOT'd for me and it failed on no indicator tell tales. They had to put in a new relay at some horrendous cost (to them!) and it was fine ever since. Also had to change the relay on my 2nd disco for the same reason (just substituted the one for the other in order to get the MOT ;)

Hi Guys

Thanks for all the responses!

I've bought a new relay today, and yay - the indicator tel tale light now works!! - Hurrahh!!!

BUT

The Trailer light is now on permanently!!!

With the old one, the Trailer light flashed correclty, when a trailer was attached - now it's just on permanently, and doesn't flash at all - trailer attached or not!!

I just wonder if the new relay is duff, or it's working correctly, and showing up a problem with the trailer electrics....

How is this light supposed to work? - Is it ever supposed to be on permanently? - I thought it would just flash with the indicators if you had a trailer attached....

Hey ho - I can always take the bulb out of the dash! - that'll fix it!

In the absence of a trailer the trailer tell-tale should flash once whenever you indicate and then stop working. When a trailer is on it should stay flashing all the time. In my experience it never really works anyway even if the trailer indicators are working fine. If you have a factory tow-bar then there should be a multiplug connector up under the rear boot floor, drivers side, just in front of the rear cross member. Try disconnecting it and see if that stops it.

Orgasmic Farmer - thanks for the reply..

Just tried disconnecting that, but to no avail.....

I rekon I'll just take the dash bulb out - if as you say the light doesn't work reliably anyway, then it's not really worth having.

It will be an MOT pass for the Indicator repeaters, so that's good as far as I'm concerned - they're not bothered about the trailer repeater, and nor am I, so best away with it I think...

Cheers all for the replies - that saved me oodles of time messing about with an avo meter!!!! :D

Does your Discovery have dual indicators at the rear (i.e. in the rear wings as well as the bumper) ? If so this is what is causing the trailer light to flash. I have exactly the same on my Discovery which is caused by extra indicators in the bull bar. I think there is a heavy duty relay to take into account the extra indicators.

Ivan

No - it's just got the body ones.

And it's not flashing - it's just on permanently - from the time you turn the ignition on, to the time you turn it off - doesn't flash at all - with or without trailer.

It DID flash correctly on the old relay, but that relay didn't flash the Indicator tell tale on the dash!!

Orgasmic Farmer - thanks for the reply..

Just tried disconnecting that, but to no avail.....

I reckon I'll just take the dash bulb out - if as you say the light doesn't work reliably anyway, then it's not really worth having.

It will be an MOT pass for the Indicator repeaters, so that's good as far as I'm concerned - they're not bothered about the trailer repeater, and nor am I, so best away with it I think...

Cheers all for the replies - that saved me oodles of time messing about with an avo meter!!!! :D

I'm sure you are aware of this but remember it is a legal requirement to have some indication that alerts the driver that the trailer lights are working or not. An ultra keen copper might pick you up on this if you get pulled over for a roadside check with the trailer on the hook.