Getting out the Dust Mop

landi41

Hi All;

I know "binch" is on Holiday but surely there are some North American owners out there with something to say.......... :)

How about starting something like ................ show us what you drive...............where have you been lately ? or any other news :) :)

Hi All;

I know "binch" is on Holiday but surely there are some North American owners out there with something to say.......... :)

How about starting something like ................ show us what you drive...............where have you been lately ? or any other news :) :)

Oh all right then Dave :P I know I've been a bit quiet recently. Here's my 109 looking a bit schizophrenic with UK and US plates on. Haven't got the heart to take the old ones off...

Cheers

Luke

Landrover.jpg

Hi Luke;

Very nice Landy indeed.................. the authorities here frown on two types of license plates but i've recently added a British plate to the rear of my 109" (to cover a dent :) but in any event here is a shot of it........

NADA109018.jpg

and one of me and my "body guards" no relavance :)

McKeelLake008.jpg

Luke,

The 109 is mint! Looks great - I suppose even better after the new paint. I can understand not wanting to beat hell out of it on the trails.

As to schizophrenia, the Tonka must raise some questions with the New York Police: :D

22.jpg

"I suppose even better after the new paint. I can understand not wanting to beat hell out of it on the trails."

Luke, You don't what ?..................... You don't off-road? Hey what are a few scratches? after all you have the painting down "pat" :) :) :)

Nice looking trucks. Where's a photo of your 110 Landi?

My truck hasn't changed much as I've been busy with work, but now that things are slower I'm getting caught up with the maintenance before winter hits. There are lots of parts sitting in the garage so hopefully this will be a productive winter.

Hello Whistler 110 and welcome..................

Here is my 110 in the original color.............. and the "Old Git" that drives it...............

I have since painted it Caterpillar Yellow...............very similar to Camel Yellow but a hellava lot cheaper for the paint :)

I'm guessing you are from the West and drive a 110 also...................

LandRover110.jpg

Hej Todd;

Lookin Good................. :) :) :)

Hi Todd;

I'm holding off on the pic for 3 reasons........A. the roofrack needs painting black and installed B. the wheels have to be changed over and C. my digi camera is out of order :)

and D. It's raining here and will continue to do so till Tuesday !! Can you believe it almost a foot of rain so far this month....well maybe not quite a foot but it seems like it :) :)

You musta driven those Ilti's are they any good? I heard at the end they were striping parts off of any they could find to keep the others running............

The G-Wagons have filtered down to the Reserves, there were a bunch out Friday on driver training...........

We see a lot of activity here at Hampstead, the edge of the base is just up a dirt road......... all of the 4 wheelers sneak in there but i do it the legal way and enter the gate at Blue Mountain......

Range Control get pretty excited if you are in there without a pass...............

Come to think of it we must be one of the few countries in the world that allow (basically) free access to their Army training areas :)

Jupp Dave,

I had an Iltis in Crotia, Bosnia and back home. Great little vehicle, it would take what I could or my driver could throw at it. Basically it's all VW, making parts finding relatively easy. The electronics/ignition is well protected from water, never had an issue with that really.

I found the tires were too small, the independent suspension is a little soft, BUT if you got your SPEED up, damn, she'll just ride the frame rails till it got traction again. :D:P

Todd.

Oh the disapointment. That photo has been floating around for awhile, I'm looking forward to seeing the new colors.

Yes, I'm out west and have a 110.

I had the fun of driving iltis's as well. Not my favorite vehicle but mainly because of how they were set up, especially the tires. Though they did handle deep water well.

I prefered the old chevy CUCV's.

Oh the disapointment. That photo has been floating around for awhile, I'm looking forward to seeing the new colors.

Yes, I'm out west and have a 110.

I had the fun of driving iltis's as well. Not my favorite vehicle but mainly because of how they were set up, especially the tires. Though they did handle deep water well.

I prefered the old chevy CUCV's.

I'll cover two replys in one.............. :)

Thanks for the info Tood and whistler on the Ilti......... we may try to pick up one or two at auction depending where the prices are heading...........

whistler see my post above explaining the lack of the re-painted 110 pic............

I have to get onto that project before the snow flies............ :)

:D Thanks Guys - LOL. It's not actually quite so mint in real life, the camera flattered it a fair bit!! However I have to admit it does look a hell of a lot better than it did when I bought it...

Given the paint technique I'm not worried about scratches - I just roller over them :lol: It's breaking diff pans, track rods, springs, etc, etc on my only means of transport that I need to be concerned about at the moment. At home it got played with a fair bit - I've got some good pics of it up to it's axles in mud in the forests of North Yorkshire - but over here rock seems to be the order of the day and I need some alternative wheels available before I go banging this around too much.

The other thing that's really surprised me here is how little opportunity there is to go off road in Connecticut. I've found some easy unmaintained "roads" to play on but almost anything more exciting seems to be barred or private property. Ironically it seemed easier to find decent greenlanes at home!!

Cheers

Luke

:D Thanks Guys - LOL. It's not actually quite so mint in real life, the camera flattered it a fair bit!! However I have to admit it does look a hell of a lot better than it did when I bought it...

Given the paint technique I'm not worried about scratches - I just roller over them :lol: It's breaking diff pans, track rods, springs, etc, etc on my only means of transport that I need to be concerned about at the moment. At home it got played with a fair bit - I've got some good pics of it up to it's axles in mud in the forests of North Yorkshire - but over here rock seems to be the order of the day and I need some alternative wheels available before I go banging this around too much.

The other thing that's really surprised me here is how little opportunity there is to go off road in Connecticut. I've found some easy unmaintained "roads" to play on but almost anything more exciting seems to be barred or private property. Ironically it seemed easier to find decent greenlanes at home!!

Cheers

Luke

There will be a Land Rover Rally up in Maine in February that should be up your alley. Not too far to drive, loads of good company, never too cold.

See you there.

John

Thanks Guys. Maine sounds like a great idea. - never too cold... er... February? Maine??? :lol: Seriously, that sounds like a date for the calendar.

I've been plugged into the Bay State ROA email list for quite a while now and have met some good new friends as a result. RPR has also pointed me in the direction of the JonFund which looks like a superb club. You contribute to the pot of money and they buy land specifically for off-roading. As soon as we get our lives straightened out house/job/vehicle-wise I'm looking to join him for a trip somewhere. Series trucks in convoy.

To be honest you tend to meet a lot of new folks anyway if you're driving a '73 109 around. The lack of off-roading has been more than offset by more practical use as a logging truck, trailer tug, flood-wader, builders van and occasional camper so I don't feel as though I'm cosseting it too much. The next door neighbours are all particularly horrified by the fact that you can hose it out... :lol:

Cheers

Luke

The next door neighbours are all particularly horrified by the fact that you can hose it out...

LOL :D But do they play that music from "Deliverance" the theme from the Beverly Hillbillies when you drive up???? Between the Dodge Ram 2500 and the Tonka, the neighbourhood in "one eco-friendly Volvo per family" Pelham/Stepford Westchester is scandalised!!!

Jonfund have Oktoberfest this Saturday which is apparently a light wheeling - big eating/drinking event. I was planning to attend and you should have come along, but it now looks like I will not be back from Switzerland in time for it.... :( We'll pull something together one of these days. More Landies in the Jonfund!!!!

Oh - and February in Maine? Thanks John, but the Tonka doesn't even have a heater! :o

But do they play that music from "Deliverance" the theme from the Beverly Hillbillies when you drive up????

Ah, you see this is CT not NY so we're OK. The kids have already started their banjo lessons at school and we've recently noticed additional finger-like growths on their hands. Thankfully though we fitted right in from the start as we arrived with a mattress, two rockers and a piano strapped onto the roof. Mind you, it was a bit hot carrying all those boxes with the raccoon hat on so I took it off and hung it on my rifle. Funnily enough I've been gazing lovingly and covetously at the Dodge Ram next door...

I'm not sure why you need a heater? Surely with all that clearance under the Tonka, you can now light a campfire underneath and sleep to one side of the oil puddle? :lol:

You do still have an oil puddle, don't you....??? :unsure:

Cheers

Luke

Lots of time to get one fitted. It gets coolish in NY so you should have a heater (no, not 1930s gangster speak for a handgun!) :D:D

John

Speaking of heaters, i just was given a "mini" bus heater appx. 6"x 6" a 16" long with twin 12v fans.......... should warm that old barn of a 110 up :)

Hi Dave

I seem to remember you describing a heater mod you'd done once, involving a better fan motor and an additional matrix. Was that you? If so, would you mind very much going over it again briefly as I'm interested in doing the same thing...

Cheers

Luke

Hi Dave

I seem to remember you describing a heater mod you'd done once, involving a better fan motor and an additional matrix. Was that you? If so, would you mind very much going over it again briefly as I'm interested in doing the same thing...

Cheers

Luke

I think that would be mine. I have written about it on several occasions. I'll see if I can find it to save a rewrite.

John