200/300 turbos swappable??

Howdy - after sucking a wee bit of mud into me turbo, reckon I might need to put my hands in my pockets again and pay stupid tax. :rolleyes:

I've got the offer of a cheap turbo from a 300tdi - anyone know if there's any problems with using this on a 200tdi? (disco engine) :huh:

Guest diesel_jim

The Ralph is right, (any relation to the Stig? :ph34r: ), the 300's are part of the main casting.

although i think that the whole manifolds are swappable arn't they? you'd have to change your downpipe, but at least you'd end up with a decent 3 bolt flange, instead of that stupid slide-up-tube-and-clamp-affair

The Ralph is right, (any relation to the Stig? :ph34r: ), the 300's are part of the main casting.

although i think that the whole manifolds are swappable arn't they? you'd have to change your downpipe, but at least you'd end up with a decent 3 bolt flange, instead of that stupid slide-up-tube-and-clamp-affair

The turbos have different Garret part numbers so might be physically different...

I've probly posted this on the wrong forum really cos the engine's from a disco, and it's all a bit different again, but I think there is a bit of a difference with the manifold casting now you come to mention it. shame :(

But it's in a Defender aka 90/110 isn't it ? so you'll be fine here :D

I did this on a 200tdi disco engine fitted into a 90 I own.

If fitted the entire 300tdi inlet and exhaust manifold (it was sat around in my shed at the time).

Obviously things like the air pipes are in different places and the exhaust will need to be changed but these are all off the shelf bits.

The only other problems I came across were the oil dip stick had to be bent slightly to clear also the studs in the head were to short and had to be changed for longer ones as the casting was thicker.

Once it was in it goes well and so far I have had no problems with it.