Defender 2007 top speed?

chb

Ok ……………….. yes……………………….. much more then 80 – 85 in a defender is definitely a death wish ………………….however……………… when into 3 figures + and running on super swamper TSL LTB…………………. even a 3 lane motorway standard dual carriageway suddenly seems very narrow …………… and the steering seems very twitchy …………………….and the heart rate seems a lot higher…

In my defence (although I agree, its wrong, very very wrong and there is no defence :blush: ) ………… it was 2 am on an empty road and I was setting up the fuel map on the rebuilt V8 ……….. lower gears and high revs were just too quick to log the info I wanted ………….. I needed high revs, high sustained load ……………….you can do the maths ;) …………5225rpm in 4th on std diffs and 34inch tyres ……………………..I certainly wont be doing it again in a hurry………….. :blink:

BTW: Having seen and used the testbook for the new models ................. I am not so sure that you can disable the limiter .......... ;)

:)

Ian

A precis of the German article - the Defender failed the Elk test (i.e. it fell over) when it swerved at 80kph. The first Mercedes A Class failed too IIRC, and they put ESP on all models (it had been an option). They are complaining that despite the facelift there are still no airbags. Reasons for failure are the "long springs", the high centre of gravity and the lack of feel in the steering. They give it one of the worst ratings for any vehicle ever tested for braking - 54m from 100kph to 0, compared to the "similarly styled" Wrangler at 42m. Think those are the figures they quoted.

One guy has replied saying it is stupid to do the Elk test with such a vehicle. I remember Top Gear doing something similar with a RRC with a guy chucking cardboard boxes out of the back of a van. This was when the P38 was in the showrooms, so they took a car which was no longer on sale, with springs and dampers in who knows what condition, and got it to tip over. Well done! Mind you, they tried to tip a 2CV over, and the only way they could do it was in reverse, it just wouldn't flip going forwards.