V8 head machining question

HoSS

Assuming the outer spring machined seat is the same as the single spring heads ( and I cant see any reason why it wont be) the top of the guide sits 0.73 inches from the outer spring seat. ……………. I checked mine several times and they vary between 0.725 and 0.74 ………

Put one in and then check that at max valve lift (check your max cam lift and multiply by 1.6) that the collar does not hit the guide top ……… and check that the valve closes properly without necking on the lower end of the guide.

Also, some guides are not finished to size, and need to be reamed.

HTH

:)

Ian

Assuming the outer spring machined seat is the same as the single spring heads ( and I cant see any reason why it wont be) the top of the guide sits 0.73 inches from the outer spring seat. ……………. I checked mine several times and they vary between 0.725 and 0.74 ………

Put one in and then check that at max valve lift (check your max cam lift and multiply by 1.6) that the collar does not hit the guide top ……… and check that the valve closes properly without necking on the lower end of the guide.

Also, some guides are not finished to size, and need to be reamed.

HTH

Ian

Cheers mate.

The valves slide into the guides i have quite nicely (early type) so i assume they are finished. But i am about the order the later seal type. How does one ream them if needed? on a lathe with the corect (expensive) reamer?

Yes, you could do it on the lathe ............ but I guess they are best reamed after being pressed into postion, so I woould probably use the old manual method with a tap wrench and a lot of care.

I guess you can probably get the correct size reamer ............ however, adjustables go down to that size

Ian

Yes, you could do it on the lathe ............ but I guess they are best reamed after being pressed into postion, so I woould probably use the old manual method with a tap wrench and a lot of care.

I guess you can probably get the correct size reamer ............ however, adjustables go down to that size

Ian

wow - I thought i knew about ( & have) every tool in existance, but no! adjustable reamers - coool.

I need to invest in some of those :rolleyes: