Suspension set up

Paul64

All I can say is that two trips to Southern Africa including some very nice roads with my 110 Defender well overloaded the standard Land Rover heavy duty springs, standard shock absorbers and suspension bushes, my Defender coped very well.

3.400kg was the normal all up weight of the Defender.

I've just added 130 helper springs to the rear. It's really lifted it too far for my liking, so much so that it might not go into the container.

Fitting new Land Rover bushes is easy. That really is the simple bit. It's getting the old ones out where the problem lies.

Do as Chris says to remove.

To fit I use the HGV mechanics method. A short length of screwed rod nuts and washers of various sizes.

Make sure you have two washers that fit over the center tube of the bush.

Also clean the tube that the bush is to fit into. Some oil will help it go into place.

My ten bobs worth.

mike

Thanks Mike,

Unfortunately the tracks and roads in Transylvania will pound the life out of most vehicles so have decided to invest in a good suspension set up. Rejo has said that I will need to remove the self leveller (which doesn't work anyway) when fitting the new old man emu springs and dampers. At the moment my LR sags a little under weight. We tested it, when I stood on the back step she dropped an inch!

Cheers,

Paul

I know what you mean Paul. I still think the Land Rover system takes some beating. Well they used them on the Camel Trophys. Also I should be able to buy Land Rover bits most places.

When we came back last time I rememberd to go to a weighbridge.

2995kg without fuel, extra fuel. Water, food, drinks etc. Also my youngest girl instead of my well made wife.

I think it lifted 30mm on each corner when I emptied it.

My biggest frightener is the tar roads in Botswana. The speed limit is 120kph BUT the potholes can be huge. It's no good thinking that this ones been repaired 'cos the next one won't have been.

I know what you mean Paul. I still think the Land Rover system takes some beating. Well they used them on the Camel Trophys. Also I should be able to buy Land Rover bits most places.

When we came back last time I rememberd to go to a weighbridge.

2995kg without fuel, extra fuel. Water, food, drinks etc. Also my youngest girl instead of my well made wife.

I think it lifted 30mm on each corner when I emptied it.

My biggest frightener is the tar roads in Botswana. The speed limit is 120kph BUT the potholes can be huge. It's no good thinking that this ones been repaired 'cos the next one won't have been.

Are you over in Africa now or are you going soon? Do you live that way? When you say you should be able to get most parts, from where in the middle of Botswana?

Do you do most of the work and maintenance on yor LR yourself?

Do you carry many spares with you?

Cheers,

Paul

We tested it, when I stood on the back step she dropped an inch!

That won't test a sefl leveler. You need to put a load in the back and go for a bumpy drive, the self leveler should pump up so it's back at the unladen height, if it doesn't then it's knackered.

However if you are fitting uprated springs, or changing the ride height you should remove it anyway.

Paul, if your intending to fit stronger springs than the existing ones take the Boge unit off & bin it.

Thanks Ralph, that is what we will do. Do you know where I can get the torque settings for the bushes? Haynes manual doesn't oblige.

Cheers,

Paul

Are you over in Africa now or are you going soon? Do you live that way? When you say you should be able to get most parts, from where in the middle of Botswana?

Do you do most of the work and maintenance on yor LR yourself?

Do you carry many spares with you?

Cheers,

Paul

Paul. Car goes the 2nd August, we fly 22nd and hopefully the car will be in Walvis Bay when we arrive on the Friday. If you have dealt with taxi, bus, train companies and airlines, believe be they could learn a lot from shipping on how to delay things. We are assuming that the ship will call in to Walvis Bay :rolleyes:

We expect to be back home in time to go the the 4x4 show at Donington in February.

There's a couple of Land Rover dealers in Botswana. Not that they could have the parts in stock. I have no idea what the what it would be in time to get parts. Weeks I guess rather than days. At least there are dealers about. I don't expect to see other firms selling bits. Yes theres plenty on South Africa, once again time would come into it. Not that I expect springs to break but you never know.

Have a look at my list of spares here

http://www.landroveraddict.com/smf/index.php?topic=348640.0

I carry far too much. So far only a water pump and pump gasket have been used.

My Defender preparation work here

http://www.landroveraddict.com/smf/index.php?topic=358612.0

Suspension torque setting come in two settings.

V tight and F tight. LOL

• 2 weeks later...
western --- mine has 751/N45 front & 754/N44 rear [always has my rally recovery kit,constant load of 400kg in the back regardless of where I'm travelling to

further to the above, I recently replaced the front OME shox, ordered new N45's but got N115's in their place, just thinking the N45's may have been superseded by the N115 version.

further to the above, I recently replaced the front OME shox, ordered new N45's but got N115's in their place, just thinking the N45's may have been superseded by the N115 version.

Thanks Ralph. I did get that information. Paddocks do good prices on OME dampers but for some reason they do not sell the springs as well.

Cheers,

Paul