D2 Fuel Flap wont lock

toger

Hi All,

The fuel flap on my 2001 GS Td5 is locked shut by a metal male tube and a plastic female receiver clip.

All of a sudden the lock doesn't work. The male is electrically operated and seems to be coming out far enough and as far as I can tell the female part is not broken, the two just dont seem to meet. ( a case of Coitus interuptus no doubt :D )

Having only had the D2 since february, my D1 used to have a key operated flap, I am unaware of this problem and how to fix it.

Is anyone aware of the problem please, is it a common one and easy to fix.

Can someone please help, sticking it shut with gaffer tape is driving me round the bend.

All help greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

T

Hi All,

The fuel flap on my 2001 GS Td5 is locked shut by a metal male tube and a plastic female receiver clip.

All of a sudden the lock doesn't work. The male is electrically operated and seems to be coming out far enough and as far as I can tell the female part is not broken, the two just dont seem to meet. ( a case of Coitus interuptus no doubt :D )

Having only had the D2 since february, my D1 used to have a key operated flap, I am unaware of this problem and how to fix it.

Is anyone aware of the problem please, is it a common one and easy to fix.

Can someone please help, sticking it shut with gaffer tape is driving me round the bend.

All help greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

T

Hi,

I had a similar problem on my G4 at the local petrol station.

After a couple of minutes checking it dawned on me that in my haste to put the nozzle in the filler neck, I'd caught the edge of the flap with the nozzle and bent the small tag carrying the plastic clip inwards towards the body (flap open)...if that makes sense. When I tried to shut it, the clip was clear of the plunger and wouldn't hold!!!

Gentle (finger pressure) encouragement bent it back to the correct point and the clip now engages with the plunger. I also had to be careful to tweak the clip slightly as it is meant to pass the plunger and "drop" to locate and lock. With a slighlty bent plate it was initially stiff but a slow time re-set at home (out of public gaze) finally sorted it and I've had no problems since.

Hope this helps.

Scrumps

The plastic clip can break but bending it as Scrumps said is a more common problem. Also the plastic clip can get twisted around so it doesn't engage, a bit of fiddling usually sorts it out though :)

Thanks for the replies guys. My panic is now over but I really should slap my legs real good and hard. :D

After reading the replies I went and had another look.

There wasn't no part of the female broken and the male was working properly but it still didnt engage.

I was just about to resign myself to a new part with the words "the male isn't coming out far enough it must be a faulty actuator (or whatever its called) " when the light bulb went off and i bent, very carefully the piece of metal that is welded onto the flap at a 90 degree angle, and holds the female part in place, away from the fuel flap hinge.

Hey presto the gap, now smaller meant the metal pipe engaged the female lock and I could have kicked myself right there in the street.

It's been held down with Gaffer tape for months, with the tape changed everytime it rained....what a T$%T !!!