RR TD6 2002 - I've got tremors!

Rangybabe

Can anyone help with a slightly irritating problem. I would like to go armed with some knowledge prior to taking to a dealer! :angry: My 2002 Range Rover TD6 has developed a tremor. :blink: We noticed it when we came back after a rough ferry crossing and crossed half of england in this nice wet weather we are having. It almost bobs around when you are stood still. It seems to go in time with the revs of the engine. It now is getting works and is a nightmare to reverse as it feels as if you are going to stall the engine but the revs and engine are fine. My car does have a history, a year ago we had to have a new auto gearbox as it died and a week before we changed our alloys to oringinal landrover 20" alloys. There has been some suggestion it could be either of these. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. Thanks Tina :D

Apparently Td6 and alloys larger than 18" sometimes dont mix on the new Rangie . . . . its the principle reason the Td6 wasn't offered with anything bigger than 18" alloys out of the factory ( i think ) Its to do with harmonics of the engine vibration and the suspension+wheels setup.

However, i've also read that in some cases the engine idle speed has been set from the factory a little too low and this can cause excess vibrations at standstill / lower speeds. This can cause issues with erratic idles and vibrations when the AC compressor switches on and off ( and places extra demand on the engine ). At lower idle revs, diesels can induce hefty vibrations, and the ECU's work hard to try and apply the correct amount of fuel to keep that low speed rpm . . .so the engine may be revving at a steady speed, but at that speed its vibrating ( if that makes sense ) . . . those vibrations very quickly balance and smooth out at revs higher than idle.

Do the vibrations disappear if you have the engine revving . . . Suppose idle is at 700rpm and its vibrating . . . does it stop if you raise the revs to 750rpm by pressing the pedal ever so slightly?

If so, then you could question the dealer about checking the base idle speed setting of the vehicle. A reset could possibly address this issue.

yes I have heard about the size of alloy wheel being the problem but we can't see it could be this as they were on the car for a nearly two weeks before anything happend.

It also does this stationary up to around 2000 revs before it seems to stop however if you put it in drive it is more violent and again jiggles up to around the same. It is more apparent in reverse but would need my hubby to drive it fast in reverse to see when it stops.

I think we will do some more tinkering tonight and see what happens!!

Thanks

Tina

I have been told by my local LR dealer that the L322 RR should not have wheels larger than

the standard 19" fitment. If they come fitted with larger wheels from the factory then the vehicle

comes with beefed up suspension.

I was in the workshop looking at a friends car when we were told this, as they had the car n at the time.

Apparently the larger wheel size places extra stress on the suspension and driveline components.

Probably due to the harsher ride with there being less rubber and more metal.

This L322 had 22" wheels on. :wacko:

Unless I'm miss-reading Tina's original post, it vibrates badly when not moving, so I don't reckon wheels can be the problem in this case.

Sounds like auto-clutch/torque-conveter problem to me, dunno how the weather could affect this though.. Tina, have you checked the transmission oil level and does the oil look clean?

/tony

Unless I'm miss-reading Tina's original post, it vibrates badly when not moving, so I don't reckon wheels can be the problem in this case.

thats wot i was thinking, wheels cant have anything to do with it

sounds like the torque converter playing up to me

Your land rover dealer should know about a land rover technical bulletin on vibration issues, mainly when stood still and slow manouvering, can be worse when the steering is locked over. Something to do with the front driveshaft joints and bearing races, i've carried out the bulletin a number of times and its cured the problem the customer was complaining of. Might be woth mentioning to them next time its in so they can look it up, i havent done it for a while though.

Also, as said bigger than standard alloy wheels on the td6 can cause more vibrations.

It may be a case of both of these things joining forces to make it worse! You could also mention checking the autobox fluid level and oil condition just to be sure but when these go they tend to just loose drive from what i've seen so far.