Speedo Drive Gear

Evening everyone,does anyone know if the small gear in the transfer box which drives the speedo is replacable?I've took the prop off and the transmission brake assembly and tomorrow i'll take the drive flange housing and back drive shaft assembly out.I assume that i'll find a broken or stripped speedo drive gear,so,if i do,are they obtainable.If all else fails i'll give Ashcrofts a bell but has anyone done the job before?

Cheers,Mick.

Yep, item 2 on this parts page, I've never changed one so can't advise on how to swap it.

the pinion that the gear drives maybe at fault, it fits where the speedo cable connects, remove the cable & 10mm hex head bolt & U shaped plate, prise the circular section up & out then twist the shaft to release the pinion from the gear.

post-20-1185479861_thumb.jpg

Never seen a problem with the drive gear for the speedo on the output of the transfer box (part 2 in the diagram), if there is a problem at all it is normally the smaller nylon gear (part 16) although it is very rare for this to be at fault unless it has fell out at some time. Most problems with speedo readings are the cbale from there up to the dash speedo, if you have any problems check this first. If you disconnect it from the transfer box it should turn easily if it is sticky either try oiling it (not often successfull in the long term) or change it.

If you do end up changing the speedo drive gear (part 16) make sure you get the correct one for you tyre size, this is the part you need to change to get the correct speedo reading for different tyres, they are colour coded, but just to make sure count the teeth and compare it to the new one.

Sean,sorry mate we must have posted at the same time,the cable is only a month old so i assumed (probobly wrongly) that it was ok.I've already checked the speedo and the cable at that end and its all ok.When i get started tomorrow ill check if it turns first before i do owt else.If the nylon gear is as reliable as you say the job may not be as long as i think(fingers crossed)

Cheers,Mick.

changed mine this week (only 'cause my other one has an issue with getting the speedo cable into it !)

I did it whilst the rear housing was off (ie the one behind the handbrake)

Unbolt the clamp that holds the speedo cable, remove the cable. then the speedo drive can be prized out of the housing with a small screwdriver.

Replacement was just a push in whilst turning the output shaft

Jerry