reversing disco steels

discojmz

i hear murmurings here and there regarding the running of disco steel wheels inside out for increased track/negative offset. is this actually a practical and viable option (for offroading if nothing else?) can the wheels be safely and securely mounted like this and does any company offer a service of reversing the little bowled recesses that the wheel nuts sit into

cheers

i hear murmurings here and there regarding the running of disco steel wheels inside out for increased track/negative offset. is this actually a practical and viable option (for offroading if nothing else?) can the wheels be safely and securely mounted like this and does any company offer a service of reversing the little bowled recesses that the wheel nuts sit into

cheers

Yes it can be done, did it myself, careful grinding, hammer and chisel with care,dress up the wheel rim, set on a flat surface, I'm lucky as we have a marking off table at work, but a good flat surface is equally as good, tap in the reversed inner hub, check it very carefully with a steel ruler or better a vernier, tack it in at least three places and then weld it at equal spacings and equal length welds, I welded mine front and back, am now running 255x85x16's with an no lose of turning circle and no spacers, you have to fill the old valve hole and redrill it , I think its about 11mm if I remember correctly, but if you talk nicely to your local tyre fitter he'll help you out.

Been running mine now for six months, lots of play days and no problems.

Hope this helps.

Cheers Bill