Land Rover Wiring Colours...

Ben Reedy

I'm a non-electrician beyond what common sense and school physics tells me. So wiring diagrams are quite hard work. I'm sure I (and many others on here) would find them easier to follow if we knew there was a general PRINCIPLE to the colours. For example, I know that earths are always black (aren't they?) and indicators are green with a red or white tracer for left or right. Interior lighting is purple and so on. So is there a list of colours which you could check and say "okay, this wire has something to do with such-and-such" ? It would make it a lot easier to identify all those spare connectors floating around behind the dash and under the bonnet, wouldn't it? I could probably make better use of the original harness rather than having bits of odd wire snaking around the car tucked into corners.

personally i've found the general priciple of the Lucas colour codes to match those of land rovers.

Yes, there are differences, but in general LR do follow the rule of thumb.

oops! - double post . . . . .gotta build up my count! :rolleyes:

• 6 years later...

I'm a non-electrician beyond what common sense and school physics tells me. So wiring diagrams are quite hard work. I'm sure I (and many others on here) would find them easier to follow if we knew there was a general PRINCIPLE to the colours. For example, I know that earths are always black (aren't they?) and indicators are green with a red or white tracer for left or right. Interior lighting is purple and so on. So is there a list of colours which you could check and say "okay, this wire has something to do with such-and-such" ? It would make it a lot easier to identify all those spare connectors floating around behind the dash and under the bonnet, wouldn't it? I could probably make better use of the original harness rather than having bits of odd wire snaking around the car tucked into corners.

Don't rely on earths being "always black". Ford and Vauxhall have both used brown for earth.