Window rattle

tpb

As Red90 can attest to, I have a small problem with my front door windows rattling in my 110. One the passenger side, I was able to swap out the entire door top with a spare I had lying around.

Fiche4-e06.png

The felty-bits are missing all around the frame (top, front, rear) causing the glass to clink against metal. If I'm reading the part numbers correctly, that's MTC7622.

Here's the kicker - the best price I've been able to find is 13 British Pounds. That seems more than a little high. The next obvious question is how much do I need for a single door?

Is there an easier / cheaper way to do this using parts commonly found in Canada? (Example: beaver skin, duct tape, and a ruthless obsession with ale.)

What will really irritate you is when you pay $$$ for the felt and when it arrives in the land rover bag its just a roll of felt. Its not formed or anything, and it has no adhesive. Its heavier than the felt that kids use for crafts, but I think that you could find some heavy felt and cut it into strips. I have some new-in-package stuff if you need the dimensions (and no, you cant have my expensive LR felt!).

I have some new-in-package stuff if you need the dimensions (and no, you cant have my expensive LR felt!).

I'd really appreciate that. It would save a chunk of time and money if I could just get the stuff from a local craft store.

I'd really appreciate that. It would save a chunk of time and money if I could just get the stuff from a local craft store.

alternatively you can ghetto it and just use some carefullt folded duck tape, folded to make it thick enough, but leaving the adhesive sides on the outside to stick it in the channel. lasted a quite a few years as it was the passenger window and it doesn't get opened too often. started rattling again recently though. i should imagine the felt lasts a bit longer.

I just had a go at mine - passenger side was missing and driver side was all rotted to hell

I found some 'suitable' felt at Canadian tire - it's a 'Master Chef' brand 'barbecue mat' and claims to be heat/mould/mildew resistent i.e. it's presumably some kind of synthetic felt (polypropylene maybe?)

post-4308-1187016519_thumb.jpg

I cut 3/4in strips using a craft knife, folded them, and pulled/prodded them in. Adhesive doesn't seem to be necessary, the lip of the frame seems to hold them adequately. A set of welder's or dental picks is useful for manipulating the felt especially winkling it past the glass (all this was done with the glass in situ btw).

I started cutting the strips off the short side (36in) but in hindsight the long side (42in) would have been just about enough to each pane in a single piece.

So far so good...

I just checked, the stuff is 3/4" wide and 1/8" thick. The material I have right now is MUC3096, and its for rear sliding windows. I think the only difference is length. I did the front windows a couple years back.