Tyre wear lives

gavin.

Now, can you help me with the topic of this thread? ;)

Erm

No :P Not really :lol:

I have had Bronco grizzlys - wore VVV quickly once the initail wear started ....with chunks coming off the lugs etc easily off road.

I now have Simex 34x10.50x16s and the wear rate is good, still got chewed side biters but much much much better.

Prob is most is 'off road use' with some on road ......and I don't check mileage / wear rates, .....but simex JTs are tough vs Grizzlys

other than that I can't add much :(

Nige

Not wishing to burst the bubble here but it occurs to me that this survey has very little merit as one of the key factors of tyre wear is how you drive. Not to mention how much you load/tow

Granted, driving style will affect wear rate, hence me trying my hardest to get as large a sample set I can. I am also asking for information about the amount of time the tyre spends on and off road so I can gain some indication of why there may be deviation within a data set.

However, a soft compound tyre will wear quicker than a hard compound tyre and the trend will indicate this. The aim of this little pain in everyones rear which is masquerading as a survey is to get a rough idea of if there is a significant difference between one tyre type and another. For example, Kumho Mud and BFG MT above are similar tread patterns but have significantly different lives for a respective 10-20% increase in price and this thread may (read: may) have some influence on which tyre a reader chooses.

All I can ask for is a few minutes of your time and hopefully this might be worth the effort I am putting in to it. Then again, it may be a complete waste of time and of no use to anyone - and if it is, I'll eat your hat. Mmmm hat...

Erm

No :P Not really :lol:

I have had Bronco grizzlys - wore VVV quickly once the initail wear started ....with chunks coming off the lugs etc easily off road.

I now have Simex 34x10.50x16s and the wear rate is good, still got chewed side biters but much much much better.

Prob is most is 'off road use' with some on road ......and I don't check mileage / wear rates, .....but simex JTs are tough vs Grizzlys

other than that I can't add much :(

Nige

Not quantitative, but still useful none-the-less! Thank you.

With 4x4 vehicles such as many of us drive here, tyre wear is dependant upon many, many factors..........driving style, trip type, suspension set up, vehicle load, etc, etc,……………… way too many variables to get much in the way of a definitive or informative answer ………….

Examples are which immediately spring to mind are……….. Will Bowden used to get 50K+ on BFG muds and you cant exactly call his driving style as restrained :hysterical: ………………… yet on a different vehicle setup mine were worn out @ 19K <_< …………………….yet, on that same vehicle I could get 25K out of Grizzly remoulds, but others were only getting 10K+…………….

Gav, whilst I can see that you intentions are sincere …………. The results may not be exactly scientific ……… ;)

:)

Ian

With 4x4 vehicles such as many of us drive here, tyre wear is dependant upon many, many factors..........driving style, trip type, suspension set up, vehicle load, etc, etc,……………… way too many variables to get much in the way of a definitive or informative answer ………….

Examples are which immediately spring to mind are……….. Will Bowden used to get 50K+ on BFG muds and you cant exactly call his driving style as restrained :hysterical: ………………… yet on a different vehicle setup mine were worn out @ 19K <_< …………………….yet, on that same vehicle I could get 25K out of Grizzly remoulds, but others were only getting 10K+…………….

Gav, whilst I can see that you intentions are sincere …………. The results may not be exactly scientific ……… ;)

:)

Ian

The only tyre I have a decent amount of replies for is the BFG AT which all come in within about +/-5% of the average (max life 95k miles and min life 85k miles) on a variety of different vehicles that spend no more than 20% of their time on the rough stuff. The MTs vary a lot more, as you would expect.

Ian, I am not trying to get nobel prize level results - I am hoping that I can get just enough support to provide something that may give people an "at a glance" reference. If you drive a vehicle that is configured in such a was as to chew through a set of tyres in a quarter of time a "normal" vehicle would, then surely it doesn't matter which tyres you put on it they are going to wear quicker than normal - these results may still be just as useful?

Alternatively I am far to naive to think that I can offer something useful when, really, all we want to do is go out and drive our cars and just who cares!