Stripping Chassis

Before I blindly rip my engine/gearbox/transfer case, out of my chassis and drop it in the sand, is it possible to lift everything as a complete unit?

I've read in previous threads that the gearbox and transfer case can be pretty heavy, will it offset the weight of the engine, I won't have a lot of height to work with to lift. Is it safe to use the xfr case rear output as a rear lifting point?

I have the bulkhead off so this seems to be the easiest way to do it then just push the chassis and running gear back for cleaning, sandblasting, zinc, etc.

I should mentin it's a V8, and unless I find a engine hoist I'll be making a tripod and chain hoist assembly to do it, limited resources here in the desert :D

A lot of questions here, it's my first LR and I'm completely rebuilding the truck and would rather not drop everything :huh:

Thanks all, any input, tips, advice would be greatly appreciated.

Tracy

With a ~500kg engine crane I'd say it's possible, with a home-made tripod I wouldn't like to commit - no offence but it very much depends on your fabrication.

I would say do it in two bites - engine first, transmission second. Gives you an excuse to change the clutch while you're at it.

Before I blindly rip my engine/gearbox/transfer case, out of my chassis and drop it in the sand, is it possible to lift everything as a complete unit?

I've read in previous threads that the gearbox and transfer case can be pretty heavy, will it offset the weight of the engine, I won't have a lot of height to work with to lift. Is it safe to use the xfr case rear output as a rear lifting point?

I have the bulkhead off so this seems to be the easiest way to do it then just push the chassis and running gear back for cleaning, sandblasting, zinc, etc.

I should mentin it's a V8, and unless I find a engine hoist I'll be making a tripod and chain hoist assembly to do it, limited resources here in the desert :D

A lot of questions here, it's my first LR and I'm completely rebuilding the truck and would rather not drop everything :huh:

Thanks all, any input, tips, advice would be greatly appreciated.

Tracy

Hallo Tracy,

It is possible to lift both Engine and Gearbox out at the same time, and pretty easy when the bulkhead is already of. I did the lift myself last year (although it was a 2,5 TD +box I lifted -but I think it is eaven heavier than a v8 +box).

I used a 350 kg crane but I reckon that it was pushed to the limit! -the crane has earlier done a lift of an 2.25 +series box to with no problem so you should be able to do it. It does however take quite some height even with the chassis totally stripped, at least 2.5 meters I think!

I lifted the lot in three points, the two eyes on the engine and a rope around the transferbox, worked very well -but use some time to get it level as it makes things easier.

Hope this can help, good luck with the project (I did a similar one last year with a 90" -took about 500 hours WTIHOUT rebuilding anything else, just zinc'ing chassis and bulkhead...)

Mads

Thanks guys,

I'm going to give it a whirl, good point about the clutch, It was done less than 3K kms, when the previous owner put the 5spd gearbox in, i'll pull it apart anyway as I want to check the clutch fork and reinforce the pivot point on it so I can avoid potential problems in the future.

500 hrs for a rebuild, wow. Do you feel it was worth it? I find it a great learning experience. The labour can be pretty cheap here, so I'm planning to get the frame/bodywork done by a shop. Rebuild I'll do on my own.

Cheers,

T

IMHO of course, if you take the front of the defender (wings and front grille etc) you will get much more room.

Also when you are ready to lift the engine assembly consider dropping the front of the vehicle down, as you will need it to be low to get the engine and gearboxes out.

I have one of these http://www.sealey.co.uk/PLPageBuilder.asp?...;productid=6936 and it allows for the centre of gravity (which will probably be between the back of the engine and the gearstick with the transfer box attached.

If your going for the total strip, then removing the front axle would also give better clearance when removing the lot, but if your having a tripod, you will probably want to keep the wheels on to allow the vehicle to be moved back while the tripod takes the load, but not being able to move the load makes it a bit harder to get the items out and then back in as you have little sideways movement.

Why not see if you can rent a truck with a hydraulic crane on it for the days you need to take the engine out (unless your doing it inside and access is a problem).

Nick/Mads,

Thanks for the tips, after due consideration, I've actually ordered something very similar, going to pull the engine first, then the gbox/xfr case. I've decided to by an engine hoist and "load leveller" pull the units, push the remainder back, then pull off the chassis and take it for sandblasting, zinc and paint. Then the fun of re-assembly.

T