Any info on Basingstoke Lanes

ripley

Has anyone tried route 69(Cracking Hampshire Circular) off the offroad routes website,

or do you know any info on the greenlanes between Basingstoke & Alton,

we are looking at heading out that way Saturday, so any info before hand would be appreciated.

Regards

Graham

Last time we did the area some reasonable lanes, nothing to taxing but a few are tight, look at the OS maps and you should be OK.

Water Lane at Alton is very washed out and rutted, they have now cleared the trees on the left as you come down, you can now see what its like before going in.

Has anyone tried route 69(Cracking Hampshire Circular) off the offroad routes website,

or do you know any info on the greenlanes between Basingstoke & Alton,

we are looking at heading out that way Saturday, so any info before hand would be appreciated.

Regards

Graham

Give me a call . I know some up that way 07973 415321

From the last time I went up there, I found very little that you couldnt have driven in a freelander on road tyres. The lane going up towards 4 marks thats roughly parrallel with the A31 is inclined to get pretty boggy though.

Water lane is interesting but you'll be doing well in a hard top not to do some pretty severe bodywork damage. The one up the back of the Gibbet at hindhead is good at the moment, as is Fernhurst lane and theres a fantastic one we found over near Plaistow.

Jon

Pray tell me where at Plaistow Jon. I agree with Water Lane, the Gibbett and one at Fernhurst, Off the old ICI site with the tight trees at the top perhaps.

Spent 3 happy hours up there when it was wet.

Water Lane they have just cleared the trees, we did it with a 90 in tow (not literally) and he had a hard top no damage, he did say he didn't realise you could go to that angle without falling over, very impressed.

We also did the one at Four Marks last week and although wet it has a hard bottom, probably not for Freelanders though.

The really amusing bit is TQ002289 on the westernmost fork.

Entrance is here TQ003300 via a gate. There is a fork at TQ002289 and the exit is TQ007277.

We then turned west along the road and picked up the other fork at SU997281 and re-join at the fork TQ002289.

Beware on the eastern most lane the locasl have a habit of blocking the lane with logs so be prepared to shift a few.

Also be prepared that this lane is impassable if you dont have a winch and lockers -you WILL need them.

Some maps show it as a bridleway, but its actually a RUPP.

Have fun

Jon

• 2 weeks later...

Please dont abuse this lane, it can get cut up very quickly. My advice is that its a once a year job, stay away if its been wet in the weeks leading up to it, walk it first.

There is an escape route halfway in, which is a hardcore surface.

Graham, speak to Jon D, weve driven it with him and it was a long day :)