Firestone air helper springs

BogMonster

Having got the front suspension out of the way, after yesterday I now see I need to do something about the back... :blink:

Running std 90 springs with Discovery isolators fitted on the top only, unladen the ride height is about right but once I put a 33x12.50R15 spare on the back door, another spare and a Kittygripper and a pair of alloy bridges on the (heavy) roof rack, the false floor in the back to hold the other ground anchor securely, the tube and pins for the other ground anchor, the sledgehammer, spade, a large heavy toolbox full of shackles, extension line, snatch block, chain etc, and then tools and anything else I might want to carry for a day away (before even starting on passengers) it is starting to look like a saggy-ar**d old Range Rover :angry: not to mention the fact it drives like one too, on rough ground, too easy to bottom out and the 33x12.50R15s have a noisy (if non damaging) conversation with the wheelarch eyebrows....

So, what to do? The following options have been thought about

1) Stiffer rear springs - don't really want to do that as it will be rough riding when unladen and the ride now is really quite good for a 90, I don't want to spoil it

2) Longer rear springs, or spring lifters - don't really want to do that as it will be even more roly-poly on the corners (lots of weight on the roof) and also I don't have much room to play with before it won't go in the garage with 33" tyres on!

3) so what about those Firestone (and possibly other makes?) air helper springs that Simmonites etc sell?

I have vaguely thought about them in the past but never bothered, but it seems like they might offer a good compromise, but I've never seen a set. How do they work - some sort of tyre valve on them? can it be plumbed in to a compressor or at least an inflation point inside the cab? what do they fix on to or do they just sit inside the springs? where is the best price for them? and finally any good/bad points about them, what are they like for puncture resistance for instance? (thinking high speed gravel road use, lots of sharp chippings flying around...)

Any views welcome, especially good/bad 1st hand experiences please. Also if somebody has a photo of them fitted that would be good too :)

The important thing is that I want to retain the existing suspension firmness/height for everyday unladen use and with the 265s as the heavily laden/big wheels combination is relatively rare and so these seem like a possible solution.

Thanks

Stephen

Going back to these, what sort of travel do they have i.e. do they limit articulation at all or become dislocated or have problems at full extension of the normal suspension?

Tony if you are able to get a photo or two of them fitted, that would be great, thanks :)

I had no problems with them at all. They caused no spring disclocation problems and did little to impede articulation. You need to play around with the pressures a bit to find what is right for what weight. I would also run individual air valves to each air bag so you can 'adjust the trim'.

David, sorry I was blithering a bit, what I meant was whether the air springs might dislocate inside the coils at full extension and get cock-eyed (or are they positively retained top and bottom?? in which case at full extension is it OK ie doesn't get its guts pulled out?)

Who else sells them besides Simmonites? where did yours come from or was it a long time ago?

David, sorry I was blithering a bit, what I meant was whether the air springs might dislocate inside the coils at full extension and get cock-eyed (or are they positively retained top and bottom?? in which case at full extension is it OK ie doesn't get its guts pulled out?)

Who else sells them besides Simmonites? where did yours come from or was it a long time ago?

They stay tight in the coil no matter what you do as the are pressed against the spring. There are pads at either end that protect the air bag from the mountings.

Matt Savage sells them - good price too. Give him a bell/e-mail