New LR Owner...excited, but slightly disappointed...

4XGeek

Hey guys, obviously I am a newbie, (first post) and have recently purchased (two days ago) a 2001 Discovery II V8 SE7. I have wanted one for years, and finally found a nice clean one and was presented with an opportunity to purchase it (insurance check for my previously totaled SUV). Yes, I am on the other side of the puddle (Atlantic) and have several initial questions on my new toy.

I was disappointed to discover my SE7 has ACE, therefore after two days of research, is not able to be lifted and tire size increased for ground clearance. :o I would like any information concerning the limitations, and or modifications of a Disco II with ACE.

Secondly, my SE7 also has air suspension rear, once again, a limitation for my future modifications to a serious 4x4. :o Any feedback would be appreciated.

On a last note, my NA version, I do not have the differential lock lever mechanism, although my transfer case does have the ability to lock. How difficult is the procedure to install the lever mechanism, and can I purchase a used one from the UK and have it shipped to me for install? :unsure:

Also, could someone please place a link to Nigel thread on getting a V8 ready for water fording? I was about to order a snorkel, and was informed my Disco II V8 could not enter water deeper than the hubs. Once again, major disappointment. :angry:

Again, thank you for listing to my rant, and putting up with my newbie questions. :rolleyes:

Robert

Alabama, USA

Welcome :)

You can get the difflock lever etc from Ashcroft Transmissions in the UK who I am sure will post or air freight it to you. Dave posts on this website as user "ashtrans" so you could PM him on here or look on their website. I don't think you'll easily find a second hand one as they are not a common fitment on new vehicles - you might find something on Ebay but that is about the only hope. the brand new one is a couple of hundred quid IIRC so not bank breakingly expensive and you can be sure you will have all the bits!

The Discovery 2 "Thor" type V8 is way different to the old V8 engine like Nigel's in terms of ignition system and ECU so the info is not really relevent to doing yours and I've not seen anything on doing it to a Thor engine.

This is probably because even if you did waterproof the engine properly, there are so many other electrics in a D2 that it is not really feasible to deep wade them as you will never get the interior 100% waterproof and there are ECU's in the footwells, stuff under the seats (CD player, amps in the high spec models) and so on. All in all it is not a vehicle I would choose to park in a river... sorry but that is a sort of in built limitation with the vehicle and indeed with any other new model LR - a Discovery 3 is even worse in that respect! You will get away with water deeper than the hubs - with a snorkel you might ford to the top of the wheelarches as long as you didn't get stuck in the water long enough to let it get inside the vehicle (i.e. only in known good passes where you are in and out in a matter of seconds), but I wouldn't push it any further than that... too much to risk IMHO.

I was under the impression lift's on air spring setups were quiet easy by the use of spacers under the springs and then just reposition the ride height sensors. But I don't know how the ACE would be affected.

I think some one does a kit, but I might be getting confused with a P38A range rover kit.

Anything's possible - electrics can be moved, suspensions etc. can be modified, fooled or replaced with normal springs. OK some of it is a compromise but then life's never easy is it? :P The hassle with waterproofing a D2 will be finding everything that doesn't like water and either sealing it, moving it, or removing it. As has been said, the thing's full of electrics.

There are a lot of LR owners who are terrified of messing with electrics, personally I'd like to see what can be done with a vehicle like the D2. At the end of the day it's only wires and transducers. Wires can be extended to dry places, ECU's can be put in waterproof boxes, sensors can be fooled to keep things happy. As long as you understand how things work before getting the wire cutters out, you should be able to do anything you want.

The Thor engine is more waterproof than older types as it doesn't have a distributor - in fact I believe it has a 60-2 trigger pattern on the flywheel plus the relevant position sensor and knock sensors which would make fitting MegaSquirt (if you were so inclined to follow Nige's example) quite easy as everything is already there. The rest of it is no different to the older V8, the only difference is the inlet manifold design but that has no practical bearing on anything.

There are a lot of LR owners who are terrified of messing with electrics, personally I'd like to see what can be done with a vehicle like the D2. At the end of the day it's only wires and transducers. Wires can be extended to dry places, ECU's can be put in waterproof boxes, sensors can be fooled to keep things happy. As long as you understand how things work before getting the wire cutters out, you should be able to do anything you want.

I am definately not the "terrified of electronics" owner...I just to NOT want to make too many expensive mistakes. I am looking for advice from those who have done it before as to what to move and to where. I am not looking at going hood deep, and I dont live near the amazon...just would like to be able to cross creeks and go through fairly deep mud (12-18 inches) without damaging something I could have avoided by simply moving or prepping.

Part of my initial question has yet to be answered. That concernes tire size and lift with the ACE stability system. I have 255x55x18 high performance street tires currently, and have located several good AT tires in that size...but I want to lift it and possibly go bigger if feasable without ripping all the suspension and ACE out and replacing it. All the systems function properly, and would like to leave them until they fail....then, all bets are off... :>

I'd dump the 18in rims and get a set of 16in rims there is a much better range of tyres available. If you just want an AT then there is a 255/55R18 General Grabber AT2 and it is also available in 255/60R18 which is a wee bit taller.

I have read good reviews of the Toyo Open Country, also available in that size over here.