OT: VW windows electrics..

pigster

I know its not a LR - but I do own one, and I crashed Les's a couple of weeks ago. :D

I sorta hope someone will know something about normal cars so here goes...

The Vw forum seems to be as active as a frozen dead thing. :D

the issue

Anyway - as the topic says, My electric windows are doing really weird things on me and I would like some one to tell me how to fix it.

The vehicle is a Passat and its a '94 1z engine (1.9tdi - 90bhp) estate.

right thats the main details you may require. so here goes...

The windows are shot, the front passenger doesn't like moving via its own door switch (but will move intermitant via drivers door) and if you do get the thing to move down it will close itself shortly after. The drivers door is doing pretty much nothing at all - it doesn't open (even via the keys when locking or unlocking) However the back windows work nicely (be it via the dash switches or the door electrics)

I don't think there is anything else happening that I need to mention.

any ideas anyone?

Thanks in advance.

so do I need to replace both the front switches as the rear seem to work.

You say its simple circuitry... so I assume theres no brain (electrical) it is just power for up window, power for down window... simple as..

In which case I could bodge it to see if the switches are knackered or not by wireing in some cheap flick switch and seeing what happened.. and then go from there...

ok - - thank you..

Just needed someone to back up my thoughts/hopes..

We have/had a similar problem with our MK3 golf, now the it wont work at all.

When we hit the switch you can hear the motor clicking and it also warms up when you hold the switch, so power is getting to the motor, but it looks as though the motor is shagged. I did a bit of googling and found that is a common problem on the VWs for the motors to plop em`selves.

The main problem now is the window is stuck in the up position, the window has to come out to remove the motor/regulator so replacing the motor is easier said than done. My advice is if you can still open your window make sure you fix it before it totally fails.

If you want to check out your switch is a pretty easy to remove, you can also strip it down pretty easiley as well, been there done that, but to no avail.

Let us know how you get on.

On the PUG I owned it had electric windows and when they started going faulty I managed to get a winder that enabled to get the windows down in an emergancy

pop cap covering motor and place over and wind in the normal manner!

excellent stuff ..

thanks very much for the hints tips.. I shall get working on the switches first and then go for the motors..

I have noticed an onnoying clicking noise from within the door mainly the passenger side, the windows winds up and then you get a clicking noise which stops after a few seconds..

cheers again.. I shall tell you how it went once I have done the possible fixes..