Hard Brakes

Hi, all.

A quick question (fingers crossed) The brakes on the 110, were said at the last service to be lacking assistance by the servo (brake booster) meaning that if I'd needed to do an emergency stop I would have to put what I would consider a fair bit of pressure on the brake pedal to get them to work effectivley, after not driving it for a while (the missus has been driving it) I got in it and to be honest the pressure I had to put on the pedal was shocking, they are quite hard and don't give much so it can't be a hydraulic leak! I changed the brake booster (servo) this weekend and they are a bit better but still not a great deal of bite when applied, could there be somthing else?

anyone with any clues or experience with this sort of situation?

Cheers Ted.

Have you checked the vacuum hose to the servo for leaks?

Cheers,

Graham

Not yet Graham, It did appear to be OK, when I was trying to get it off the Servo unit, in the end I had to leave it all attached until I removed the servo. Then it wouldn't come off the pipe. Maybe the next step would be to check the valve is only blowing one way!

Servo is the first port of call (they crack and lose vacuum) and if you have done that then I'd look at the vacuum pump (and hoses) next.

Also make sure that vacuum feeds to things like the EGR modulator (if fitted) haven't come adrift.

Servo is the first port of call (they crack and lose vacuum) and if you have done that then I'd look at the vacuum pump (and hoses) next.

Also make sure that vacuum feeds to things like the EGR modulator (if fitted) haven't come adrift.

How can you tell if the vaccum pump is faulty?

put your finger over the end of the pipe with the engine running and see if theres a vaccuum.

I put my finger on the end of the pipe with the engine running and to be honest there wasn't a very noticable vaccum a bit mybe! how much of a vaccum should there be?

Cheers Ted

enough for it to suck your finger and make a red mark (well thats what mine does)

if its a 200 you can just change the rotors in the vaccum pump, if its a 300 i think you need to change the pump.

Just had/have this problem; vacuum pump didnt seem very strong compared to a friends, uped the revs very slightly and sucked the same as his (if that makes sense?)

Didnt think there was a problem with servo as it had been tested.Any way fond a small piece of flaking paint on front of servo and when scrapped off found a crack abut 1" long in it.

No cheap alternative to brake vacuum pump either!!

hope this helps.

Graham

Just had/have this problem; vacuum pump didnt seem very strong compared to a friends, uped the revs very slightly and sucked the same as his (if that makes sense?)

Didnt think there was a problem with servo as it had been tested.Any way fond a small piece of flaking paint on front of servo and when scrapped off found a crack abut 1" long in it.

No cheap alternative to brake vacuum pump either!!

hope this helps.

Graham

Yeah cheers Graham, very interesting about the suction picking up when you revved the engine! I think I'll get the vaccum pump tested before the expence of replacing it!

Thanks

Ted

Yeah cheers Graham, very interesting about the suction picking up when you revved the engine! I think I'll get the vaccum pump tested before the expence of replacing it!

Thanks

Ted

A simple test of the vacuum system is to pump the brakes a good ten times or so with the engine switched off, then apply the brake with a reasonable amount of force and whilst holding the pedal still applied, start the engine. You should feel your foot getting sucked down as the pump builds up it vacuum and the servo starts to operate. A simple cheep vacuum mater is available from Halfrauds. Even the sort intended for petrol heads to moitor fuel consumptiom will do for checking the pump, especially if you have a friends car you can compare you reading with..........

A simple test of the vacuum system is to pump the brakes a good ten times or so with the engine switched off, then apply the brake with a reasonable amount of force and whilst holding the pedal still applied, start the engine. You should feel your foot getting sucked down as the pump builds up it vacuum and the servo starts to operate. A simple cheep vacuum mater is available from Halfrauds. Even the sort intended for petrol heads to moitor fuel consumptiom will do for checking the pump, especially if you have a friends car you can compare you reading with..........

Yeah Thanks,

The wife took the 110 down to have it tested, he said it should be pulling 20bar or what ever, and wasn't pulling any so bobs your uncle its a new vaccum pump!!!!!!!

The garage said it was $450 AUD for the vaccum pump, $550 fitted!!!!

Ebay had one for 94 pounds roughly $217 AUD+25pounds postage! $280 all in all 7-10 days delivery

So I ordered one, only to be told about the postal strike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

Such is life :)