TDC

Hi,

This may come across as a numb Q, but when changing a vaccum pump, the manual says to get the engine into the Top Dead Centre position to begin with! The procedure in the manual goes in to detail about taking the air con compressor off and the injection pump hub cover, then turn the crankshaft & insert a pin to locate TDC! Surely if I undo the bolts on the vaccum pump and turn the crankshaft until the vaccum pump becomes free, then withdraw it and replace it with a new one! Without the need for taking the A/C off and injection pump hub cover! Could this be done?

what would the best way be to replace the vaccum pump?

Cheers ted

which engine?

assuming a tdi then if u look up into the bellhousing hole, tdc is when the slot on the flywheel is central in the hole

Thats great Tonk, Sorry m8 the engine is a 300Tdi so all I want to do is remove the vaccum pump< and the engine needs to be at TDC to remove it. so getting the grove to the centre of the hole will do it then?

Slot in flywheel is actually No 1 cylinder exhaust valve peak lift it is not TDC but 109*BTDC.

so with slot central to hole, and pin in pump, with cam aligned with marks, all as per when u put new cambelt on, its not put on at tdc?

so with slot central to hole, and pin in pump, with cam aligned with marks, all as per when u put new cambelt on, its not put on at tdc?

Sorry could you explain! All i want to do is remove the old not working vaccum pump and replace it with a new one, I can't see why Id have to take the Injection pump housing cover apart and put a pin in there to do this? If the fly wheel is in the right placethe vaccum pump should come off? should'nt it

u state it needs to be at tdc, i'm just tryin to establish where that is.

to insert the pin into the injection pump, its only 3 screws to take the cover off and you're there!

Yeah I guess so, If the air conditioner bracket wasn't attached to it. All I was doing was asking the question(and hoping) that if i rotate the crank till I can releases the vaccum pump, without having to take anything else apart! I understand that if i were doing a timing belt change then I would want to LOCK the engine in TDC.

But I've never done this so am asking for advice?

Thanks Ted

Surely all you need to disturb on the aircon is the belt tensioner which replaces the above mentioned plate. then it is just a case of turning the engine till the pin (drill bit) will go in on the pump and the engine will be at TDC. Change vaccum pump, remove pin replace tensioner anf re-tension and the job is done.

Pete.

Surely all you need to disturb on the aircon is the belt tensioner which replaces the above mentioned plate. then it is just a case of turning the engine till the pin (drill bit) will go in on the pump and the engine will be at TDC. Change vaccum pump, remove pin replace tensioner anf re-tension and the job is done.

Pete.

Thankyou.

I was just being lazy & trying to cut corners! which seemed to make sence?

So I need a new gasket for the injection pump housing, & how do you drill the blanking plug?

So I need a new gasket for the injection pump housing, & how do you drill the blanking plug?

Confused by the question. :unsure:

You just need to remove the inspection cover on the pump, and lock the pump with an appropriate sized pin - a 9.5mm drill bit.

Confused by the question. :unsure:

You just need to remove the inspection cover on the pump, and lock the pump with an appropriate sized pin - a 9.5mm drill bit.

Yeah! Not as confused as me!!

I have to change the vaccum pump on my 300 Tdi defender, to do this it states that the engine has to be put at TDC to free the vaccum pump? I asked the Q that if I turned the crank until the pin went into the grove on the fly wheel, I could then take the vaccum pump off! Without taking the cover off the injection pump cover and putting in a 9.5mm drill?

Simple really i was just trying to cut corners!

I did mine recently on a 300Tdi I must admit I didn't even bother with the T.D.C and all went ok. From what I understand its just to ease the instalation of the new one. It makes screwing the bolts up easier. I was advised to change oil and filter before installing the pump, don't know why but did it anyway.

Mike

I did mine recently on a 300Tdi I must admit I didn't even bother with the T.D.C and all went ok. From what I understand its just to ease the instalation of the new one. It makes screwing the bolts up easier. I was advised to change oil and filter before installing the pump, don't know why but did it anyway.

Mike

Cheers Mike,

Eventually some that has done the job, can't understand why you would change oil and filter before though

Mike

Just renewed mine Thanks for all the help everyone! Brakes are as good as new.

a big thanks to island4x4, for getting the vaccum pump to me in quick time, ordered 9th Oct delivered 19th Oct, all the way from little old england to oz.

Cheers again!

Ted